2000 Chevrolet Silverado...5.3 engine.....

Customer Question

2000 Chevrolet Silverado...5.3 engine.....The timing chain broke....I replaced the timing chain and gears without dropping the oil pan, after I installed the front cover I wanted to see if it would run, I started it up, it was missing very bad, then started to knock, found no oil pressure. I dropped the front axle to drop the oil pan and found the o-ring on the oil pick up tube split..... My service manual does not have anything in it about the 5.3 engine .. so..I hope this dosen't sound too bad ... two questions, does the new o-ring go on the tube, or in the pump inlet? and, when the timing chain broke, is it possible that the pistons hit valves, which might be causing the bad missing condition.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RIP ROBERT replied 5 years ago.
The O ring goes on the tube. Yes, any time a timing chain goes out it is very possible the piston will hit a valve.

Thank you,
Rip Robert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just to let you know, the valves will get hit when the timing chain breaks on a 5.3L,

I am very sorry to hear that the valves were hit by the piston. You take care and thank you for using just answer.
Rip Robert