Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Chevrolet 1997 1997 Chevy 1500 with a 5.7 L. Flashing check

1997 Chevy 1500 with a 5.7 L. Flashing check engine light with rough idle and misfire at any RPM. Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor button and fuel filter. Still misfires. Any suggestions would be great.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

what are the trouble codes you get?

tell me all you can

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had any codes read yet. I carried the truck to a local shop and they said it just needed a tune-up. They were suppose to put the truck on a scanner but I was not there at the time. I work on my on vehicles most of the time and capable of the basic tune-up stuff. The truck has a very rich gas smell and rough idle and misfires regardless of the rpm. The two middle plugs on the driver side were dark. The rest of the plugs looked fine. I changed all of the plugs, wires, fuel filter. The truck had the distributer replaced a couple of months ago. The cap and button were replaced at that time. The truck is down on power.

i want you to replace the rotor and the distributer cap again...these caps will burn up on the inside even if they look new....i have had many caps bad new,right out of the box...also,check the fuel presssure..these must have no less than 60psi at all times...sense it seems to be running rich,,the problem could be the pressure regulator that is located under the intake manifold,,it may have a busted diaphram and be leaking fuel

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE