Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 chevy: yoke seal..with a allison trans, a 14 bolt cover..pinion

Customer Question

i need help on how to change a yoke seal and a crush cone on a 2003 chevy 2500 HD, with a allison trans, a 14 bolt cover, and a non removable seal or pinion housing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. The spacers located directly behind the front pinion bearing you'll need to remove the pinion yoke, the front pinion sealed in which presses into the axle housing, then remove the front pinion bearing,

9.75 Inch
Axle

Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement (9.75 Inch Axle)

Tools Required

• J8614-01 Flange and Pulley Holding Tool
  • J45710 Pinion
    Bearing
    Oil Seal Installer

Removal Procedure

Important: Observe and mark the
positions of all the driveline components, relative to the propeller shaft and
the axles, prior to disassembly. These components include the propeller shafts,
drive axles, pinion
flanges
, output
shafts
, etc. Reassemble all the components in the exact places in which you
removed the parts. Follow any specifications, torque values, and any
measurements made prior to disassembly.

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Disconnect the propeller shaft from the rear axle pinion yoke.

1. Place an alignment mark between the pinion and the pinion yoke.

1. Install the J8614-01 as shown.
  2. Remove the pinion nut while holding the J8614-01.

1. Remove the washer.

1. Install the J8614-2 (2) and the J8614-3 (3) into the J8614-01 (1) as shown.
  2. Remove the pinion yoke by turning the J8614-3 (3) clockwise while holding
    the J8614-01 (1). Use a container in order to retrieve the lubricant.
  3. Remove the pinion oil seal. Use a suitable seal removal tool. Do not damage
    the axle housing.

Installation Procedure

1. Apply a light coat of axle lubricant, GM P/N 12378557 or equivalent meeting
    GM Specification(NNN) NNN-NNNN to the lip of the pinion seal.

1. Install the new seal using the J45710.

1. Install the pinion yoke.

Notice: Refer to Pinion/Yoke Installation Notice In Service
Precautions.

1. Seat the pinion yoke onto the pinion shaft by tapping it with a soft-faced
    hammer until a few pinion shaft threads show through the yoke.

1. Install the washer.

1. Install the new pinion nut

1. Install the J8614-01 onto the pinion yoke as shown.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Tighten the pinion nut while holding the J8614-01. Tighten the pinion nut to
    370 Nm (273 lb ft) .
  2. Install the propeller shaft to the rear axle pinion yoke.
  3. Inspect and add axle lubricant to the axle housing, if necessary.
  4. Lower the
    vehicle.
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one more question do i have to replace the crush cone. when replacing the seal. the carrier bearing rubber failed, and the seal is leaking. i bought the seal and cone. show me the light, thank you
You will either need to purchase a new crush cone or using a hammer hit the collar on the side so it lengthens again, this way you can set proper preload on that bearing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do you set the pre load on the pinion. do just torque it,
Yours gets tightened to 273 foot pounds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i set the e brake and torque the yoke nut or do i need the yoke bar to hold the nut.

Both brakes have to hold perfectly otherwise place a large pipe wrench on the yoke , just so long as it is held securely

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I do not 100% agree with all of the answer you got, you cant have a axle setup with a pinion nut torque as well as a crush collar. If you have XX.X axle you have a crush collar and you torque the pinion nut down till you reach a certain preload on the bearings. If you have a XX.X axle then you do not have a crush collar but shims which you have to change to achieve preload then you do have a pinion nut torque.

I first off need to know which axle size you have, 9.75 or 10.5?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience