AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 chevy suburban: Diagnostic codes kept pointing..accelerator pedal

i have my 2004 chevy suburban in shop right now. KEpt having reduced engine power. Diagnostic codes kept pointing towards the accelerator pedal sensor. we replaced and still having this problem and the codes are still showing this. What could be the problem/ They mentioned we may have to take it to a dealership to have the computer redone and flashed, but warned us that it would be very costly.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

The Reduced Engine Power message alerts the driver that the Control Module has detected a fault in the Throttle Actuator Control system. The control module limits engine power when this mode is Active. YES.. it could be a bad throttle body.. but sometimes it turns out to be a wiring issue going to the throttle body. Check the wires from the module to the throttle body. Sometimes they break a few inches from the throttle body.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

But the diagnostic codes keep showing this to be the P1125A Accelerator pedal position system and P2120 Pedal position circuit. They put in a new accelerator pedal position sensor and it did not fix the problem and is still showing the same codes. Why wouldn't it show a code for this throttle actuator control system?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
YES.. that is correct.. these codes point towards the APP sensor. If this sensor was replaced, then chances are you just have a wiring issue or a bad TAC module.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I already asked them about wiring issues and they said if it was bad wiring this would be happening all the time not intermittently. Never asked about the TAC, how do we find out if this is the problem if the codes don't show that. I don't want to sink more money into it just replacing parts if we do not know if that will fix the problem? About how much does it cost to replace the TAC?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Of course a wiring issue could be intermittent.. that would be very odd that they would say that..

I don't have a listing for this module.. but you can just call up the parts guys at the dealership and they will give you the price and part number for this TAC module.

To see if this is the problem, everything else needs to be ruled out. You need to check the sensor input and output along with all of the wiring. If everything checks out ok, then I would suspect a bad TAC module.