Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet malibu I have a quote for $120.00 for a head gasket

I have a quote for $120.00 for a head gasket kit for a 1999 Chevy Malibu 3.1 engine. How many hours should it cost for a shade tree mechanic to replace the head gasket? I can see air bubbles in the coolant reservoir tank. A Pep Boy mechanic told my wife that it was OK for her to drive the car home even though it was over-heating. She drove it until it quit running.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Its a 12 hour job book rate, I agree headgasket is bad if coolant is bubbling.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My mechanic wants $350 for his labor, is that reasonable? If he replaces the head gasket should he also replace the timing chain, and is there other work he should do as long as he has the head off?
Ya, thats the deal of the week....If 10% of people I talk to got deals like that there would be alot happier people....Head should be inspected at machine shop which is around $60...Other then that nothing else should need to be replaced...if belt is worn you could consider replacement...If miles are high you could consider replacing waterpump, thermostat, and radiator cap....But nothing really required or highly recommended. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.