Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

chevy express van why would the heater blower not work after

why would the heater blower not work after my 2008 chevy express van sits without being run for a week at a time?This has happened 4 times already.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.When this happens, does the battery seem a little low even if engine cranks and starts? does everything else work on the HVAC control panel when blower does not?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the battery power is normal

Do all other HVAC controls work at panel except blower controls.? when does blower start working again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

other times it happened,i took it to dealer,they fixed it,no explanation for defect

Still needing to know if all the other controls work at the HVAC control panel when blower does not. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
everything else works
Thanks. My first thought is a connection problem at blower resistor. Its a small logic module. You acn try unplugging.plugging in next time thei happens to see if corrects. If so, try some dielectric grease on the contact terminals to help with connection. If not.. then I tend to lean to a bad blower resistor module Unsure why after sitting but connections can be lost during sit down times and then hit with 12 volts later on. here is location of the module.

Blower Motor Resistor Assembly Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: The blower motor relay is an integral part of the blower motor resistor and cannot be serviced separately from the resistor.

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the blower motor resistor assembly.
  2. Disconnect the resistor to blower motor wire from the retainer on the heat case.
  3. Remove the blower motor resistor assembly retaining screws (1).

1. Remove the blower motor resistor assembly (2) from the evaporator and blower module assembly (3).

Installation Procedure

1. Install the blower motor resistor assembly.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

1. Install the blower motor resistor assembly retaining screws (1).

Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (18 lb in).

1. Connect the wires between the blower motor and resistor to retainer on heater case.

1. Connect the electrical connectors to the blower motor resistor assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried unplugging everything per your instructions,still nothing from the blower.
so your saying currently the blower will not come on./?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

correct.When I change the right side dial from defrost to floor or vents or a/c,there is a slight hissing noise,then it dies down.

remove the 40 amp blower fuse from under hood fuse box, reinsert it just to check connection. Then... turn key on, turn blower to high, then tap fairly hard and firm a few times directly on the blower motor at various spots near the back of blower and see if it kicks on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you,Randall.That worked,the blower motor is now working
what part worked, the fuse or tapping? if tapping, you have a bower sticking after sitting and will need new one at some point