Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

how can I test my transfer case motor on my 99 tahoe to make

how can I test my transfer case motor on my 99 tahoe to make sure that it is bad. my service 4WD light is on and when I try to shift into 4Hi it blinks for a while and goes back to 2HI, I have crawled underneath and I can hear my front actuator on the front axle working, but nothing from the t-case
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

this sounds as if your transfer case acuator motor is bad and sticking[common problem],you will need to replace the transfer case actuator...there is no real good test you can do for this,,,the actuator can just get weak,,it is also common to get a bad new one,,so when you replace it,,be sure to test it a few times

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1999 Chevy Truck K Tahoe 4WD V8-5.7L VIN R
Transfer Case Actuator Service and Repair, Procedures: Transfer Case - NVG 243-NP1 (Two Speed Selectable), Motor/Encoder Replacement
Removal Procedure

13_gc99ckbdy_4-262a.png

1. Remove the transfer case shield.
2. Remove the transfer case wiring harness connectors from the motor/encoder.

94_gc99ckbdy_4-262b.png

3. Remove the four bolts that secure the motor/encoder to the transfer case.

Installation Procedure

15_gc99ckbdy_4-262c.png

1. Install the with a motor/encoder.

2. Install the four bolts securing the motor/encoder to the transfer case.
^ Tighten the motor/encoder bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
^ Remove all gasket material remaining from the motor/encoder.
^ Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case interior shifting components.
^ Align the motor/encoder mating surface detent with the transfer case mating surface detent.

16_gc99ckbdy_4-263a.png

3. Install the wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
4. Install the transfer case shield.
5. Perform a functional test on the electronic shift select system in order to test the motor/encoder. Refer to Transfer Case Functional Test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I should have mention i Have the NP8 with the auto 4WD(which I would never use)

There is a 6 pin and 4 pin connector on this thing, I am heavy equipment mechanic and I am certain that you should be able to test resistance on one of these plugs I just don't know which one and what the specs are. Can you help me out more?

the np8 replaces the same

what are you going to test the resistanc on here?

these go bad all the time...you should be hearing the tccm click when the indecator is flashing when it wont shift.....there isnt anything wrong with your case..it is the encoder motor

thanks

Transfer Case Actuator Service and Repair, Procedures: Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 (Two Speed Automatic), Motor/Encoder Replacement
Removal Procedure

20_gc99ckbdy_4-361a.png

1. Remove the transfer case shields.

02_gc99ckbdy_4-361b.png

3. Remove three bolts securing the motor/encoder gasket and motor/encoder to the transfer case.
4. Retain the rubber gasket for reuse.

Installation Procedure

24_gc99ckbdy_4-361c.png

1. Install three bolts securing the motor/encoder and the rubber gasket to the transfer case.
^ Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case shift shaft.

26_gc99ckbdy_4-362a.png

2. Install the transfer case wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
3. Install the transfer case shield.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to test the resistance on the motor, you don't have any specs for that on which pins to test?
sorryno i dont have that