Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1998 Chevy Cavalier: light is on and the car is shifting hard..loose

Customer Question

1998 Chevy Cavalier 2.4 L. My "ETS Off" light is on and the car is shifting hard. This has happened before and the mechanic that fixed it said it was a loose sensor on the transmission. Where would I find this sensor?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

the first thing to do here is to scan the computer for trouble codes,,,these codes will give a clue to your problem.if you dont have a scanner,auto zone and most parts stores will scan it and give you the codes for free...i dont think the problem is with the transmission sensor...i think it may be a wheel speed sensor[#3 in the picture below]

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier L4-144 2.4L DOHC VIN T SFI
Traction Control Indicator Lamp Testing and Inspection, Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures: ETS Off Indicator ON With No DTCS Set
82_gc98cavlr_5-298a.pngETS Off Indicator On No DTCs Set Wiring Diagram

83_gc98cavlr_5-299a.pngETS Off Indicator On No DTCs Set

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
Two-way serial communication is sent back and forth between the EBCM and the IPC. A message from the IPC is sent to the EBCM within seven seconds after ABS initialization. A serial communication failure does not allow the proper warning indicator commands to be sent back to the IPC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The ETS OFF indicator will be ON and the Enhanced Traction System will be disabled whenever the scan tool is connected to the DLC with the ignition switch is in the RUN position.

The scan tool Serial Data Link (SDL) monitor used in this diagnostic is within the body portion of the scan tool. This requires exiting from the chassis portion of the scan tool to the main menu and entering into the body portion of the scan tool menu and selecting SDL MONITOR.

With the SDL monitor (ABS to IPC mode), any message that is being transmitted on the serial data link can be observed. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster for further serial data link information. Use the Lamp Test function of the Scan Tool in order to turn the indicator on while looking for an intermittent malfunction in the ETS OFF warning indicator circuitry.

Thoroughly inspect any circuitry that may cause the intermittent complaint for the following conditions:
^ Backed out terminals
^ Improper mating
^ Broken locks
^ Improperly formed or damaged terminals
^ Poor terminal-to-wiring connections
^ Physical damage to the wiring harness

IMPORTANT: Zero the J 39200 test leads before making any resistance measurements.
Electronic Brake Control Module Locations, Components: Electronic Brake Control Module Location
19_gc98cavlr_5-100a.png

20_gc98jbody_8a201-035.pngComponent Location Views

Left hand lower I/P
Transmission Speed Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures: 4T40-E Automatic Transaxle, Vehicle Speed Sensor Replacement
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

13_gc98cavl2_7-295c.png

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector.
3. Remove the vehicle speed sensor bolt.

14_gc98cavl2_7-296a.png

4. Remove the vehicle speed sensor from the case extension.

15_gc98cavl2_7-296b.png

5. Remove the O-ring from the vehicle speed sensor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

16_gc98cavl2_7-296c.png

1. Install the O-ring onto the vehicle speed sensor.

17_gc98cavl2_7-297a.png

2. Install the vehicle speed sensor into the case extension.

18_gc98cavl2_7-297b.png

3. Install the vehicle speed sensor bolt.
^ Tighten the bolt to 11 Nm (97 inch lbs.).

4. Connect the electrical connector.
5. Lower the vehicle.

i see the picture wont blow up..try this

thanks

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here