Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Chevrolet 1500 wt truck: how do you install 4.3 distributor

how do you install 4.3 distributor (97)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
Here are the complete instructions from the service manual:

Object Number: 334551  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Important: The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90 degrees apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at top dead center (TDC). With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).

1. Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.

2. Object Number: 301393  Size: SH
  3. Remove the distributor cap bolts and discard.
  4. Remove the distributor cap.

5. Object Number: 43756  Size: SH
  6. Install a NEW distributor gasket onto the distributor.
  7. Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.

8. Object Number: 68505  Size: SH
  9. Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area.
  10. Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft.
  11. Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.

Object Number: 310298  Size: SH
  12. Install the distributor and distributor clamp.
  13. The flat in the distributor housing must point toward the front of the engine.

Object Number: 334555  Size: SH
  14. Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 6 pointer (1) that is cast into the distributor base.
  15. If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 6 pointer (1), the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

Object Number: 34403  Size: SH
  16. Install the distributor clamp bolt.
  17. Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 301393  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

18. Install the distributor cap and NEW distributor cap bolts.
  19. Tighten
    Tighten the distributor cap bolts to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

Object Number: 387772  Size: SH
  20. Install the ignition coil wire harness.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how can you align the distributor segment if the dist. is fully seated? it wont move
That's a little misleading. Obviously, you'll want to align the segment AS you're installing it, as the distributor gear causes the shaft to spin. That part of the instruction wasn't well written, but the idea is to line up the segment about 30 degrees counterclockwise from the pointer, then drop it into place and ensure that the segment lines up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive did that about 20 times,my knees are killing me.im starting to wonder if i have a bad dist. the reason i bought a new one is ,the ears broke off the old one.so i know there is nothing else wrong.i got #1 up on compression, and tried everything,and i know i had to put the rotor button on right? i geuss when you put the dist in you have to turn it counter clockwise and drop it in right on the 6 mark im just at a loss right now!
I'm not sure I understand.... what's keeping it from lining up and going into place? Does it just not seat all the way when it's lined up, or is there something else going on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its lining up perfectly and seating in it just doesnt start

Ah, ok. So it's installed correctly and won't run.

I would install it per the instructions, tighten it down, and then treat this from scratch as a no-start concern, and just start with basics. Fuel, spark.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i know it has spark and gas half tank,and it ran when i pulled old dist.out.what white paint mark are the instructions talking about to align pre drilled indent? i have a orange mark,and its on the other side of shaft than the original white mark (old dist.)
The instructions are referencing paint marks that they recommend making when you take the distributor out. The paint marks are unnecessary if you're replacing the distributor. Basically, it only goes in one way on the housing side, you line up the pointer on the shaft, and that's it. Not much to it.

It is "possible" to put the rotor on backwards. I know it's keyed to supposedly prevent doing it backwards, but I've seen it done. Make sure your rotor is on correctly.

Again, my best advice is to install it per the instructions, where you know it's right, tighten it down, then treat this as a no start, and begin checking the basics. Spark at the coil.... is spark coming out of the distributor cap to the spark plugs? Is fuel pressure sufficient? Check it with a gauge. Did you blow any fuses while you were working on it? Check the fuses with a test light. Etc. Etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
ive checked everything that was implied already,and i think i have a bad distributor
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

lets check it one more time.....though you may have a bad distributer or ignition module

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

you need to take out the #1 plug,,,hold your finger on the plug hole...have your help to bump the starter till you feel air[compression]start to come out of the hole....then hand turn the engine until the mark on the harmonic balancer is on [o]..now you have the #1 piston up on the compression stroke...now,install the distributer to where the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire terminal...now it is in time

1997 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
Number One Cylinder Locations, Components: Number 1 Cylinder Location

NUMBER ONE CYLINDER LOCATION

35_gcfotv6-003a.png

Ignition Cable Locations, Components: Spark Plug Wire Routing
12_gcfotv6-003.png

65_gc96stbk1_6d4-010.pngSpark Plug Wire Routing (Left Side)

34_gc96stbk1_6d4-009c.pngSpark Plug Wiring Routing (Right Side)

Wire routings must be kept intact during service and followed exactly when wires have been disconnected or when replacement of the wires is necessary. Failure to route the wires properly can lead to radio ignition noise and crossfiring of the plugs or shorting of the leads to ground.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
# XXXXX plug wire is on the right middle of dist cap.but the #6 mark on the housing is on the left,and also the # XXXXX plug wire contact terminal on the cap travels over to the left side of dist. cap, which one do i line up rotor button to?

you align it up with the terminal on the inside of the cap that gos to the #1 plug wire

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it seems like the instruction would word it like you did to avoid all the confusion. so the # XXXXX terminal is right by the # XXXXX mark on the housing then?

the #1 plug wire terminal is on the drivers side in the middle....turn the distributer cap over and follow the worming of the #1 to the rotor contact teminal.....you need to install the distributer with the compression up on the #1 cylinder with the rotor pointing to the #1 rotor contact teminal so it would be sending power to the #1 plug wire

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.