GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2006 chevy silverado 1500 , air bag

2006 chevy silverado 1500 , air bag sensor light came on just after I cleaned the front of the motor / water pump area with a hose and engine cleaner to inspect for a leak of oil.

Maybe co-incidence or did it screw up the frontal impact air sensors? They look clean and free of dirt visual only while still connected... Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Was the cover still on the fuse block?

Customer:

cam only washed the engine area around water pump > 2006 silverado pick up 1500

Customer:

Air bag sensor light came on later that day on dash bubble blowing man

Customer:

used Gunk and hose

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK then you liekly have a bad sensor.

Customer:

sensor under radiator looks clean and debris free

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bubble blowing, I guess so, never thought about what it looked like.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

did i f*ck up the sensor cleaning the motor or have tyour heard of water hurting them

Customer:

that sensor is there 2

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is liekly that the sensor was damaged by the water.

GM Tech (Cam) :

To see which you need the code, Sensor 1 is drivers, sensor 2 is passengers.

Customer:

really you seen this before its right out there in the open with rain and snow

GM Tech (Cam) :

YEs but they do not get the pressure that a pressure washer puts onto it.

Customer:

code for frontal impact sensor will show if bad

GM Tech (Cam) :

but they are common for issues and I have replaced many.

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes.

Customer:

I used a hose and not directly in that area

Customer:

easy to replace

Customer:

meachanically enclined yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, one connector and 1 bolt.

GM Tech (Cam) :

easily.

Customer:

right disconnect battery and the air bag fuse wait 10

Customer:

? can those be cleaned

Customer:

does the system need to be flashed or anyhthing if you replace one sensor

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, just unplug it and replace.

GM Tech (Cam) :

These do a self test each igntion cycle so it will reset the next igntion cycle if they are fixed.

Customer:

Cam do you need to secure everything first power ,ect?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I woudl take the connector off and make sure they are dry first.

GM Tech (Cam) :

no need to worry about power, just have the key off.

Customer:

Can i do that without triggering the air bag?

Customer:

should i disconnect the power and wait 10 minutes?

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, with the key off you do not need to pull the battery, WIth the light on it does not work anyway and that is not the final sensor to set it off, the module has to see that and many other factors to deploy them.

Customer:

oh awesome thanks , I will clean both sensors the is Electric motor and brake clkeaner ok or just blow air dry?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Blow gun is enough.

GM Tech (Cam) :

check the wiring when you are under there to make sure it is not simply a chaffed wire.

Customer:

if the sensors are bad and I get a code and replace them is there anything else to do to reset light

Customer:

will do on the wire thing

GM Tech (Cam) :

When you replace them if they are bad, the light will flash 7 times to signal the self check then go out.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It does this every time the key is turned on as its self test so it will reset when the issue is gone.

Customer:

Kewl - so clean them first is step one , check if light clears , if not get code for sensor that bad do each front sensors have seprate code?

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, and each has its own code,

Customer:

Can any scanner tell the code, my little VIP One did not show any codes

GM Tech (Cam) :

You need an Air Bag scanner, your little one is emissions only.

Customer:

Gotcha same thinking so thats the problem , can you get that read other than dealer

GM Tech (Cam) :

any shop can, and some parts stores can

Customer:

I was thinking Autozone does free scanning hopefully for air bags also on there scanner

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hopefully, yes.

GM Tech (Cam) :

But check the connectors and all that first.

GM Tech (Cam) :

IT may be enough to avoid all of that if it goes ouit

GM Tech (Cam) :

Basically always look for the simple things first.

Customer:

Thanks big help I will disconnect them and dry them first go from there. Any past luck of just drying and working again?

GM Tech (Cam) :

For the ones I dealt with no,

Customer:

the sensor replacemant i will get the code for the proper one before buying

GM Tech (Cam) :

They are the same for left and right, jsut need to know which to replace.

Customer:

gotcha I believe its one of the sensor got wet , to coincidental the light came on afetr washing that area

GM Tech (Cam) :

I agree

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is there more I can get you today?

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great help anything else i should know maybe to help?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Not that I can think of.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam Only to Answer" and I should get it. Thank You!!

Customer:

TY

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.