GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Chevy Silverado My 2004 Chevy Silverado has a heater problem.

My 2004 Chevy Silverado has a heater problem. The air conditioning on the driverside will turn hot while the AC on the passenger side stays cold. I turn the ignition off and back on and the problem goes away for a short time and then returns. What's going on?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

JACUSTOMER-jzsjhg48- :

When driving my Silverado 1500 LS with the AC on, the heat will suddenly come out of the driver's side while the cold air continues out the passenget side. Even while using the vents only, the heat will sometimes come rushing out of the driver's side and not the passengerside. If I turn off the ignition and then right back on, the problem goes away for 10 min, 20min, or whenever it feels like doing it again.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is a very common issue. THe fault is with the temperature door actuator. On these vehicles, it is the easy one to change. It is under the center of the dash, towards the right side of the transmission hump. This is something that can be easily changed. HERE Are instructions.
It costs about 200, and I would get it form GM.

The part number is XXXXX

It should take you 30 mins.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.