GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet K3500 4x4 2001 CHEVY 3500 DUALLY 8.1 LITRE. TRUCK

Customer Question

2001 CHEVY 3500 DUALLY 8.1 LITRE.
TRUCK HAS BEEN SITTING FOR ALMOST A YEAR. WHILE DRIVING EVERYTHING APPEARS NORMAL AS FAR AS SHIFTING. WHEN YOU START THE ENGINE IN PARK THE TRANSMISSION MAKES A KLUNK NOISE AND THE DRIVE SHAFT TRIES TO TURN. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS IS NORMAL BUT IT DID NOT DO IT BEFORE TRUCK WAS PARKED.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It does sound normal, things drained out and had to be refilled when running so it does that and loads up against the park pawl.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I Would get it hot, make sure the fluid is good and drive it to see if this continues.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I Will see if I can get the bulletin that outlines ths .

Customer:

WE DROVE THE TRUCK ABOUT SEVEN OR EIGHT MILES BEFORE WE NOTICED THIS PROBLEM. ARE WE STILL ON TRACK FOR YOUR ANSWER? HOW FAR DO WE NEED TO DRIVE IT? WE HAVE THIS TRUCK FOR SALE AND HAVE A PROSPECTIVE BUYER. CAN WE GET A SERVICE BULLETIN THAT COVERS THIS SITUATION?

GM Tech (Cam) :

A bulletin only has info, but I am looking

GM Tech (Cam) :
#08-07-30-026A: Information on Slight Vehicle Movement in Park at Start Up After Cold Soak - (May 17, 2011)

Subject: Information on Slight Vehicle Movement in Park at Start Up After Cold Soak

Models:2012 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

Equipped with Automatic Transmission

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2010-2012 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-026 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Some vehicles may rock or move slightly forward or rearward while in park at start up after cold soak. This condition may be accompanied by a clunk noise. This is a slight movement that is more often seen visually, rather than felt, when viewed from the outside and using the auto-start feature, if equipped.

This slight movement is due to the residual transmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply on start up. This movement is stopped by the parking pawl and/or transmission fluid exhausting completely from the clutch packs.

This slight movement has no adverse affects on the transmission and no repair should be attempted. This condition is normal. This can be verified by comparing with another identically built vehicle under the same cold conditions.

To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be utilized as per the Owner's Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do you see this reply?

Customer:

IF THIS DOES NOT CORRECT CAN I GET BACK TO YOU FOR MORE INFO? HOW DO I PRINT THIS CONVERSATION.

GM Tech (Cam) :

COpy and paste to text or word to print

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did that work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THIS INFORMATION SEEMED TO WORK. WE DROVE THE TRUCK FOR 25 MILES THOUGH. WHERE CAN I GO TO FIND BULLETIN # 08-07-30-026A SO THAT I CAN PRINT A COPY TO SHOW MY PROSPECTIVE BUYER?

THe information is exactly what you see there, nothing else in there about this, but if you want, google that number to find it in a PDF.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. DROVE THE TRUCK 25 MILES LAST NIGHT PARKED IT AND STARTED IT 12 TIMES WITH NO KLUNK. CALLED THE PRO BUYER BACK TONIGHT STARTED THE TRUCK AND NO KLUNK. DROVE THE TRUCK FIVE MILES AND THEN PARKED IT. STARTED IT UP AND THE KLUNK WAS BACK ON THE FIRST TRY. I WAS LEAD TO BELIEVE THAT ONCE IT WAS GONE IT WAS GONE. NOWTHE BUYER IS GONE. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
I found a second bulletin but again it says this is perfectly normal for the allision. I know for a fact these are very strong if the magnet is still on the top of the spin on filter.
#PIP3161E: Allison LCT1000 Clunk When Shifting Into Or Out Of Park Or On Start Up In Park - keywords shift - (Mar 31, 2010)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Subject:Allison LCT1000 Clunk When Shifting Into Or Out Of Park or On Start Up In Park
Models:2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500, C5500
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
2007-2011 Chevrolet Silverado
2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2007-2011 GMC Sierra
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500, C5500
Equipped with a Allison LCT1000 Transmission

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIP3161D.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customer may comment that trucks equipped with the Allison LCT1000 transmission may experience a clunk type noise on start up with the vehicle in park. Customers may also experience a clunk noise when shifting into park from reverse or a drive range or when shifting from Park into Reverse. The condition may be intermittent. Customers may also comment that when shifting into and out of park repeatedly without releasing the brake pedal the clunk into Park or into Reverse will become more frequent and repeatable.

The noise is a result of internal transmission clutch drag which is sufficient enough to load the output planetary carrier. The resultant load on the output planetary carrier can result in park pawl gear tooth impact against the park pawl and cause the clunk noise. The magnitude of the noise is dependent on the position of the park pawl gear relative to the park pawl.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This condition is considered to be an operating characteristic of the Allison LCT1000 transmission. Repairs or replacement of the transmission will not correct this condition.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.