GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2001 Chevy Cavalier: computer link up or readout.Any ideas

Customer Question

2001 Chevy Cavalier
Check engine light is on and I can't get any computer link up or readout.
Any ideas?

Bob
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Isthere power to the plug they are plugging into?

Customer:

Not sure how to check that

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the lighter work?

Customer:

I'll have to check that, don't use it. Can you wait?

GM Tech (Cam) :

sure.

Customer:

right back

Customer:

Lighter does not work

GM Tech (Cam) :

Check the CIG fuse/

Customer:

is that under the dash?

GM Tech (Cam) :

dash

Customer:

let me check, right back

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer:

The only fuses I can find are in the fuse panel next to the battery, and there is no fuse there for the cig lighter??

GM Tech (Cam) :

Open the drivers door and there is a small panel in the end of the dash.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

blown fuse, replacing it will just give me power to get the code readout, correct

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, that fuse powers the data plug

Customer:

great that gets me a little farther in clearing the real problem

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do you have a code number now?

Customer:

no I have to check the reader out at the parts store, don't own one

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer:

I'm hoping to find the code cause online somewhere

Customer:

thanks for your help

GM Tech (Cam) :

Reply here for that when you get it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I Can help you wtih the cause and liekly repairs.

Customer:

can I leave this chat open?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sure, I have to run up for supper but reply and we will continue.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

Customer:

ok, I'm hungry too!

GM Tech (Cam) :

I am back. If you don't reply in an hour then I will need to change it to regualr Q&A so I can go on my mobile and continue to help you

Customer:

Cam, I'm back with 4 codes...CAT, EVA, O2S, HTR

GM Tech (Cam) :

need the numbers please.

Customer:

the only number I saw was 1

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, I know you will not like this but I need those code numbers,

GM Tech (Cam) :

ones like P0420

GM Tech (Cam) :

or P0440 or somthing like that.

GM Tech (Cam) :

thre are far too many to guess at.

Customer:

guess I didn't gather the correct info from the devise I'll have to go back and try again

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sorry to have to ask but that is the only way I can get you the proper answer.

Customer:

give me a pre 70's car and I'd be fine

GM Tech (Cam) :

LOL, true enough, get me on older than about 95 and I am lost.

Customer:

I think you would do just fine, all you have to do is remember were the bolt came from

GM Tech (Cam) :

I know the mechainal stuff but understand the electronics and sensors better.

Customer:

I'll be back

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer:

code was P0480 cooling fan circuit, fuse was blown replaced the fuse and it's OK now. I suspect the fan motor may be going bad.

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is most often the case.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I have only 5 mins before my family drags me out the door to the pool

Customer:

I'll have to see if I lose another fuse.

Customer:

go get wet thanks for your help

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Reply here with the other codes and I will help you with those.