Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced
49697172

1986 chevy truck: replaced coil..module..off distributor cap..rotor

i am getting no spark on my 1986 chevy truck, i have replaced coil ,cap,module,wires and plugs. now as I think about it, every time I pull off distributor cap, I notice the rotor is in the same position, so the distributor is not turning. what do I do next?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr.Automotive replied 3 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

hi

Customer:

you there?

snapontech :

Hello

snapontech :

You can remove the cap and tap the key to make sure there is no movement

Customer:

there is no movement

snapontech :

Then you will need to replace the distrubutor

snapontech :

The only thing on the end is a shaft that goes down into the oil pump

Customer:

what turns the distributor?

snapontech :

You will want to ensure the old distributor is the problem pull it out and inspect the shaft

Customer:

what if shaft is good?

snapontech :

Then you will want to use a light look down into the hole and ensure there is no damage to the oil pump

snapontech :

Its possible the gear on the distributor is just stripped out

snapontech :

Full Size Image

snapontech :

Thats what it looks like

Customer:

If shaft is good, Then I need to change oil pump?

snapontech :

Yes or the cam

snapontech :

The cam turns that gear

Customer:

Can you buy just the gear , if it is stripped?

snapontech :

then the oil pump has a shaft that goes into the bottom of that distributor shaft

snapontech :

I believe some places have that as an option

snapontech :

But honestly if your going that route probably will have to order it so you should just get a new ebay complete distributor for 50 bucks comes with new cap rotor coil everything

Customer:

ok

snapontech :

But pull it out and see what happened the gear on the cam is hardened steel and should not be damaged

Customer:

ok

snapontech :

As long as it was just the distributor then replace and there will be metal in the oil so you will want to get it out ASAP

snapontech :

those small shavings can get into the oil system and damage engine bearings

Customer:

ok

snapontech :

Let me know if you need anything else. If this was helpful please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button.

snapontech :

Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

thank you

snapontech :

I am highly advanced with these so let me know if you need ANYTHING else and I can help.

Customer:

ok

Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced