Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Chevrolet Tahoe LT My Service 4WD message appeared on the

My "Service 4WD" message appeared on the dash along with the traction control light. I changed the encoder motor, again, for the fourth time in my 2005 Tahoe. This time the "Service 4WD" message and the traction control light did not reset automatically. Is there something else wrong besides the encoder motor?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

A common problem on those is that the programming in the module gets corrupted and it has the be "flashed".

So as much as I hate to send someone to the dealer, but in this case it would be best to get a diagnostic and have them tell you what is wrong and then if it is just a programming issue they are your only option.

If it does turn oout to be something else you can make the decsion to fix it yourself or let them do it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is "the module [that] gets corrupted" separate from the encoder motor?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is under the dash.