Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2000 monte carlo: how many check valves..bad and where is air pump

ON a code of PO410 how many check valves should I change, locations and how can I check to know if bad and where is air pump on 2000 monte carlo?
I wouldn't change anything yet. First thing is to know whether the air pump runs or not on cold start. Can you hear it running when you start it up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no but a 30amp mini fuse blows after awhile and the check engine light come on
It sounds like a failed air pump. Which fuse is it, how is it labeled?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm going from mem but if I have to I'll go out to the car but I think it says a.i.r something... location is psngr sd. firewall lower fusebox right side as facing it 30amp mini fuse, just under some relay
Schematic

Looks like the AIR PMP RLY fuse is opening. It only goes to the AIR pump, so it's a safe bet that you need to replace yours.

The AIR pump is under the car, in front of the LF wheel. Here is a picture.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

one last thing, can a beginner replace this or or should I leave it to guys of your level?

No, I'd say that this is something that a guy with average mechanical ability can figure out. 3 or 4 fasteners, a couple of hoses that just pull off, and an electrical connector, and you're there.

The pump is expensive though, expect to spend a couple hundred dollars on that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Jerry! You're tha bomb!
Certainly. Please remember to click "accept" before you go. That's how we get compensated for our time and research. Good luck with it!

-Jerry