Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

chevy venture ow much should it cost to replace a fuel pump

ow much should it cost to replace a fuel pump on a '96 Chevy Venture? my mechanic is quoting me $650 (parts, labor, taxes).

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Can you double check the year for me? Chevy didn't offer the Venture until 1997. If you are unsure, I can use the 10th digit of the VIN# XXXXX identify the year.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, it's a 2000 venture.

No problem. Just wanted to make sure I gave you accurate info...

The Fuel Pump sells for around $276 (it only comes as a "kit" that contains the pump and strainer). The labor time guide calls for just under 2 hours to complete the job (the fuel tank must be removed to access the pump. Most shops round up to the nearest hour. Expect to pay for 2 full hours). And another .5 hour or so to drain and refill the tank. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For this type of job, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $75-$95 per hour. Using a labor rate of $95 per hour, and using 3 hours labor (worst case scenario) I come up with a total of $561 without tax.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he's also suggesting the fuel filter be replaced - $70 - as well as fuel-injection servicing around $140 -- does that sound necessary and priced correctly?

The fuel filter should ALWAYS be replaced when replacing the fuel pump. In the brand name "WIX" (part#:33183) the fuel filter sells for around $27. As for the injector cleaning service- it's a good "preventative maintenance" option, but not nessacarily "needed" when replacing the fuel pump. This is a "service" and shops will vary on the price, anywhere from $125+.

Forgot to mention the .4 hour for labor on the filter. So, yes, $45 labor plus the $27 for the filter- sounds about right.

And .4 hour for labor on the filter. So, yes, $45 labor plus the $27 for the filter- sounds about right.