GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 1998 Silverado driver door will not open..rod..unlock..door panel

Customer Question

My 1998 Silverado driver door will not open. I replaced the outer handle last year, and a few weeks ago the rod to the key lock fell off, so I couldn't lock ior unlock it. I opened up the door panel and re-attached the rod into the clip and re-assembled it. I then shut the door to try it out, but the door will not open. I have been inside the door and rotated the latch and it just won't releaseWhat can I do to get this door open? I even considered removing the latch pin from inside the door, but I don't think this will help because of the length of the bolt. What can I do? - Alex
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is one of those repairs I disliked, but what you can do is try lubbing the latch assembly then hitting it from the inside. Often this jogs it loose.
CAn you try that now and get back to me?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It worked! I also cleaned the latch with 2 cans of brake clean before respraying it with WD-40. Can you recommend a lubricant that is best for this latch mechanism? Thanks - Alex
graphite.