Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 I have an 88 Chevy silverado with

I have an 88 Chevy silverado with power door locks. I have good power in the driver side unlock switch and power out when switch is operated. I am not getting power to the lock actuator. The diagram shows a relay, but I can not find it under the dash anywhere. Where is the relay?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Here is the location of the convenience center and the location in the convenience center.

Probably more than you need, let me know how it goes.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need some clarification. The convienience center on has 2 relays. 1 is the horn and the other is the flasher...all other items byond the door chime are wire plugs, no other relays. I had already checked there. Power is getting to the switch just fine. I unplugged the lock actuator to ensure it was not grounded out. The power from the switch is not getting to the actuator. The schematic in a manual shows a relay, but does not indicate relay location. I assume it does have a realy, as all wires leave the door into the cab. the actuator wire color is different from the lock switch wires. I assume they all go to a relay.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

In the second diagram in the lower right is that a fuse and not a relay?

I see so many I can't remember them all and there is not one here right now with that same box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the convinience center diagram, but it doesnt show the location of the door lock relay. I am needing the relay location. Schematics show a relay and the actuator wires are different colors from yhe leads from the lock switch, all of which go into the cab, but I can't follow them without removing the entire dash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is the fuse/circuit breaker. The relay is not visible at the fuse box or convienence center. I did find a bank of three relays behind the glove box, but no luck there either. I know I will kick myself when I find it. I was hoping to locate it with the help of someone that has worked the issue before. I also note that I do not have power to the passenger side lock switch. I am thinking it may be powered from the relay, whereever it is.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I will opt out and see if another expert can help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for trying Neal> I am wondering if the books are wrong about that relay
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure whats up there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am seeking the location of the power lovk relay in an 88 chevy silverado. I already know where the fuses are and cannot locate the relay
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 years ago.

I am seeking the location of the power lovk relay in an 88 chevy silverado

Should be a Flat Type GM Relay above the Gas Pedal or on the Support above Brake Pedal
It will have ORANGE, GRAY, BLACK, TAN & a couple of other wires
It does NOT look like a conventional Square Relay

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested & have answered .

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked above the gas pedal, only thing there electrical is the air box actuator. Above the brake support is nothing. The brake light switch, and the park safety switch is near, but nothing I coud find. I have traced the bundle from the driver door which splits off power leads to the convienence center to supply power, but the bundle continues toward the passenger side, but is hidden by the sound blanket above the gas pedal. I can feel the bundle for about 6 inches or so, then it gets too tight for my hands...no relay yet. I did find 3 relays behind glove box, but those are not it.

There were "two" methods used:
Relay & Direct Switch, (that reversed the voltage & ground)

If there is no Relay in the position I posted, then you need to "back probe" the ORANGE / BLACK wire from the Driver Door Switch to the Convience Center "PWR LK"
Then from "PWR LK" to the ORANGE / WHITE wire to the "ACC / BATT" Fuse in the Fuse Panel

The Door Switch "Reverses" the Voltage + & Ground -

At the Door Lock Actuator "two" wires

When the Switch is moved to the UNLOCK Position there will be Voltage +, on one wire & Ground - on the other wire

When the Switch is moved to the LOCK Position, the wire that had 12 Volts + is now Ground -
The wire that had Ground - is now 12 Volts +

Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience: Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.