Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2005 chevrolet colorado: 3.5L..inline..100,000 miles..spark plugs

I have a 2005 chevrolet colorado with 3.5L inline 5 cylinder engine that has just roled over 100,000 miles. I need to change the spark plugs. I am mechanically inclined. How hard is it to change the plugs and is this something I could do? Do you have a diagram of hoe to do this?

Harold
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

these aren't too bad..yes,you can do this

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the ignition coils. CAUTION: Wear safety glasses when using compressed air, as flying dirt particles may cause eye injury . NOTE: Clean the spark plug recess area before removing the spark plug. Failure to do so could result in engine damage because of dirt or foreign material entering the cylinder head, or by the contamination of the cylinder head threads. The contaminated threads may prevent the proper seating of the new plug. Use a thread chaser to clean the threads of any contamination.

[ ]

1. Clean the spark plug recesses with low pressure air. NOTE: Allow the engine to cool before removing the spark plugs. Attempting to remove the spark plugs from a hot engine may cause the plug threads to seize, causing damage to cylinder head threads.
  2. Remove the spark plugs from the cylinder head.
  3. Inspect the spark plugs. Refer to Spark Plug Inspection.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE:

• Use only the spark plugs specified for use in the vehicle. Do not install spark plugs that are either hotter or colder than those specified for the vehicle. Installing spark plugs of another type can severely damage the engine.
  • Check the gap of all new and reconditioned spark plugs before installation. The pre-set gaps may have changed during handling. Use a round feeler gage to ensure an accurate check. Installing the spark plugs with the wrong gap can cause poor engine performance and may even damage the engine.
  1. Measure the spark plug gap on the spark plugs to be installed. Compare the measurement to the gap specifications. Refer to Ignition System Specifications, correct as necessary. NOTE:
    • Be sure that the spark plug threads smoothly into the cylinder head and the spark plug is fully seated. Use a thread chaser, if necessary, to clean threads in the cylinder head. Cross-threading or failing to fully seat the spark plug can cause overheating of the plug, exhaust blow-by, or thread damage.
--

.

[ ]

1. Install the spark plugs to the cylinder head. Tighten Tighten the spark plugs to 18 N.m (13 lb ft) .
  2. Install the ignition coils.
Specifications
Spark Plug Torque18.0 Nm (13.0 lb. ft.)
Spark Plug Gap1.08 mm (0.042 in.)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is'nt there a cover of some sort that has to be removed first? Is ther a diagram on this? Is there any special "tricks" to know on this?

Harold

hi harold....no real tricks here,,yes,you will need to remove the cover,,but,i don't have a picture for this,,,,just look at the cover,there may be a couple of bolts that hold it on...

thanks