Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT How do I reset a passLock system

How do I reset a passLock system on a 1999 chev. Suburban? The security light is flashing and it won't start. It fires then stalls immediately.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 years ago.

Insure the ignition key is in the "ON" position.
Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the "CRANK" position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the "RUN" position (Do NOT key "OFF" in the process).
Wait 10 minutes.

Observe the "SECURITY" indicator.

Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position and wait for 10 seconds.
Repeat steps 3-6 two more times.

The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM.

The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from "OFF" to "CRANK" to "ON" (start attempt).

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested & have answered .

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry- what do you mean when you say repeat steps 3 thru 6?

sorry about that.......
Numbers didn't show

1) Insure the ignition key is in the "ON" position.
2) Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the "CRANK" position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the "RUN" position (Do NOT key "OFF" in the process).
3) Wait 10 minutes.

4) Observe the "SECURITY" indicator.

5) Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position and wait for 10 seconds.
6) Repeat steps 3-6 two more times.

7) The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM.

8) The new password is learned on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from "OFF" to "CRANK" to "ON" (start attempt).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It just started. How long should the reset last? Do I need to change any parts out to keep this from happening again?

How long should the reset last?

If the PassLock System is good, then this should work

Do I need to change any parts out to keep this from happening again?

If this happens again, typically it is the Ignition Lock Cylinder / PassLock Hall Effect or the 2 thin wires going to the Cylinder
You need to check the connection at the Key Cylinder inside the Steering Column

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. How do I changeout the lock cylinder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean the ignition switch not the cylinder?

The Passlock Sensor is inside the upper right side of the steering column.

The Passlock Sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors.

The Tamper Hall Effect Sensor is on the top.

The Security Hall Effect Sensor is under the Tamper Hall Effect Sensor.

Both of the hall effect sensors monitor the magnet of the Ignition Lock Cylinder through an opening.

The best way of testing is via Dealer Scan Tool, if you do not see any breaks or wiring problems, prior to any Repair

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found some corrosion in my pretty nasty positive at the positive battery terminal and in the cable. I replaced the cable today and the reset you took me through is working. Could the bad cable impact or be a cause of my earlier starting problem with the pass lock?

Could the bad cable impact or be a cause of my earlier starting problem with the pass lock?

absolutely, as it could cause memory loss, if voltage was low or bad connection

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Clarifying question on the reset procedure. I'm actually on vacation about 1000 miles from home......When looking at the reset instructions-you said to repeat 3-6... Should it be 2-4. Three times? I want t be sure. Ini case I need to do this again prior to getting home, thanks so much. I appreciate your help.

wow...................sorry about that, I left out a line

Here it is again (correctly):

2) Clear all EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM DTCs.

3) Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the "CRANK" position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the "RUN" position (Do NOT key "OFF" in the process).
4) Wait 10 minutes. Observe the "SECURITY" indicator.
5) The "SECURITY" indicator will transition from flashing to "ON" briefly to "OFF" after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition "ON" position.
6) Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position and wait for 10 seconds.
7) Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM. The new password is learned on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from "OFF" to "CRANK" to "ON" (start attempt).

again......sorry about that

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no problem. Thanks for your help. It started 3 times today-- so far so good. I had "accepted" the charges- did you get credit ok?

yes sir..............

Thank You very much............

Thanks for using J/a

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You saved our tip. We are 950 miles away from home base and were a bit stuck to say least. Thank you. Thank you!
Tom

Thanks for using J/a

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The security light started blinking again...wouldn't start. Ran through the reset procedure as earlier in the month. It is starting now but the security light is remaining lit. What can I do to fix this problem once and for all? I hear there are after market bolt ons that go around the stock system.... Ideas?

Thanks

Tom

What can I do to fix this problem once and for all? I hear there are after market bolt ons that go around the stock system.... Ideas?

Typically this is caused by the PassLock wires at the Ignition Switch, BCM, or the Ignition Switch Hall Effect Unit & replacement is usually needed

While I do not like to "ByPass" the System, there is a couple of Sites that offer a fix, like:

>>>>> CLICK HERE