Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Chevrolet S10 4x2 I have a 97 chevy s10 with the 2.2l. I

Customer Question

I have a 97 chevy s10 with the 2.2l. I just changed the timing chain myself. The tensioner had crumbled causing the timing chain to jump. After completing this my truck starts but has a really rough idle at low rpms. It is throwing me po300 which is cylinder misfire random. Could this be because the timing chain and sprocket are not aligned properly or is it an ignition thing? I also took the ignition module off for testing to see if that was the problem before changing the chain. Is there a chance that me reconnecting the module caused another problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Is the chain on like in the diagram below?

graphic

Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need more information. That really doesnt help me. The timing marks on the tensioner line up perfectly on both sprockets every two revolutions of the crank. Since the timing had jumped do i have to make sure the marks align on a specific cylinder?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Ok, so they are exactly as in this picture?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. Do i need to align my timing marks on a specific cylinder? Because cam had spun around. Or just any way i can get them to align is right.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
i need more information
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

If the markes did not line up when you pulled the timming cover off, you have to spin the cam and crank seperatly so the marks line up with each other. If youhave the markes lined up correctly, then you need to make sure the plug wires are on corectly. If you need a diagram to show you what wire goes where i can post it for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I spun them until they did. I removed my coil packs and tested the module. When i replaced it i accidently replaced the number one plug wire with the number four. I thought that was my problem. It still does the same thing. Yes maybe a diagram could help. Maybe the coil packs were put back on backwards?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Here is the diagram. graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay so if i hook up the wires from coils No.1 should go to No.1 cylinder as the same with the rest correct?

Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

As long as the wires are in the correct location according to the diagram, it does not mattery what coil is there " if they where put in the wrong location they will still work the numbers on them is just to make it easy to know what wire goes where". So if the coils where put in backwards you woudl conect plug wire number 1 to the coil post marked 2 ext. Or the best thing to do is swap the coils so they are in the correct location.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay cool. Am i correct though. On the coil packs there is a number. Does it correspond to that cylinder? If so than i have them correct.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

yes the numbers on the coils will coinsides with the spark plugs location to each cylinder. If the coils are in the correct location, and you still have a miss, then you need to do a compression test on all 4 cylinders to see what is going on. Please post the test results for each cylinder so i can see what is going on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay i will get a tester and do so. Do the error codes cylinder missfire have anything to do with lack of compression? Also if i accept your answers does it end our session? The other tech that attempted to help me i accepted the answer even though it didnt answer my question and i didnt get any more responses. I would rather talk to you
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Yes even if you accept my answer I will still work with you till this problem is solved.

And yes if you have low compression then the code p0300 will set.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will you still be on here in about an hour? I am going to get a compression tester now.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
If you have low compression on the cylinders then yes the p0300 code will set. Low compression can indicate the timming is off, a bent or burnt valve, or even a bent push rod. Lets see what the compression test tels us. Please post the acctual readings for each cylinder and not they are all around ____. i need to see what each cylinder is doing. Yes i will be back in about an hour as i need to go get my lunch. Chat with you then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay there is 100 in number one. Zero in number two . Zero in number three. 120 in number four
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
ouch, that hurts. With those numbers I woudl have to say you probably have bent or burnt valves in the head. Can you pull the valve cover off and seeif youhave any rocker arms that have come loose or maybe a bent push rod?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cant see any visable damage. I turned the motor over also. Could it be opening the valves backwards?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
I doubt yu can bend the vakves by hand.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I turned it over with the starter and the valve cover off to see if i could see any damage. I did not. So whats next do you think i should pull the head or is there any thing else i could do?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
With the valve cover off and the spark plugs out, turn the engine over by hand till both valves are closed for cylinder 2 and with compressed air, blow air into the cylinder and see if the air leaks out the intake or the exhaust. then do the same thing on cylinder 3. If air does come out the intake or exhaust " or even the oil cap" then there will be internal damage to the engine and the head will have to come off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay i did that and the air goes somewhere but not sure where
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
While you have air blowing into the cylinder, open the throttle and see if the air is coming out though it. But yu will have to pull the head off and have the valves repaired. The valves are either bent or burnt. the head will need to come off to see how bad the damage is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay i removed the head. I can see daylight through both exaust valves. Should i replace the valves or is there a chance the guides are warped now since it is an alluminum head
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
If the valves are burnt then you need to take the heads to a machine shop and have them do a 3 angle valve job on all the valves, as well as replace the valves that are burnt. If you just replace the vlaves then they will burn again, as well as leak compression out as the valve seat will not be true.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What if i take a head off another car at the junk yard. Is there a way i could tell if it is good enough to put on my truck
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
WIth the rocker arms off, you can pour oil into the cumbustion chambers and see if the oil will leakout of the valves and into the intake and exhaust ports over night. It woudl be much cheaper to just have a valve job done, as this will run you around $100.00, and a used head can be nuch more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well i got a quote of 250 for a valve job and 40 for a used head. I would rather keep my head though.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

$250.00 is way to high. The machine shop near me that i use only charges me $125.00 to clen pressure test, serface, and a 3 angle valve job. See if yu can find a better machine shop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My head was cracked in three places. Inbetween the valves. I should have my new head this wednesday. I got it for three hundred dollars. I was cleaning up my intake getting it ready to be reinstalled and noticed a crack where my throttle body bolts on. It does not go into any of the ports. Should i still use it?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

If you can see a crack then vacuum can leak down that crake and cause you trouble. The best thing to do woudl be to grind the crack out just a little and use jb weld to fill the crack back in, and then use a file to smoth it back down flush with the mating surface. this will insure that the intake does not have unregulated air going into the engine.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Make sure that what you see is a crack and not a scratch. there may also be casting flaws that will look like a crack, but realy are not.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Did yu have a chance to look at the intake better?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well it looks like someone had hit the side of the intake where the crack is with a hammer. The ding on the side is where the crack is
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Then you will definantly want to fill the crack with JB weld.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well the crack is right on the gasket sealing surface. Do i just fill it and then carefully sand it flat. Should i use some kind of rtv or just the gasket that comes with it
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
I would use a file or a cut off will to grind the crack open just a bit, then use JB weld to fill the crack back in, and then sand it back flat. Then when you go to put the throttle body back on, use just the gasket with out any sealer. You will need to make sure to sand the JB weld back down totaly flat. If you do not fill the crack back in you will have a vacuum leak that can cause all kinds of problems, such as a miss, burnt valves over time, rough idle, and poor power.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay i put it all together and when i turned it over it tried to start and then got stuck. Well not stuck. I pulled the spark pluggs and turned it by hand and gasoline shot across the parking lot. Are my fuel injectors not working correctly or do i need to do something with the valves. They are not adjustable so i dont really know what i would do with them. I noticed that one of the injectors was a little cracked around the little filter. Any suggestions?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Double check the injector wire harness and make sure that the ground wires from the pcm are not grounded out. the injectors shoudl have 12 volts to all of them constantly, and then the pcm sends a pulsing ground to them to make them fire. If the cylinders3are full of fuel then the injectors have to reciving a onstant ground, or the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. How many cylinders shot gas out of them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im not sure I will check in the morning.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Let me know what you find, and what cylinders are filling with fuel.