kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2008 Chevy Aveo: put gas..his check engine light came on..gas cap

My son is driving a 2008 Chevy Aveo somewhere in West Virginia. After he put gas in the last time, his check engine light came on. He has checked his gas cap and says that it appears to be just fine. He is panic stricken and so am I...but I'm up here in Maine and can't help him! Any advice?

kalamykid :

Did he shut the car off when he filled up?

Customer:

Yes

kalamykid :

How far did he get before the check engine light came on after refueling?

Customer:

About 20 minutes

Customer:

He is telling me that he had a Garmin and an AC adaptor plugged in at the time. Has unplugged it now.

kalamykid :

That is about how long the computer would need to detect a leak in the evap system. It is very posible that he did not get the cap on tight and the evap system could not maintain a vacuum on the fuel tank. if this is what has happened then the check engine light will not go back off till after the problme has been corrected " the cap put on tightly" and the codes are reset, or the evap system has passed its test 5 times. this woudl mean that he woudl hjave to drive the car for about 20minutes, shut the car off and restart the car 5 times. this will let the computer rest the light but the code will still be stored in the computer til it is cleared out.

kalamykid :

If the cap is not sealing correctly due to a nick, or a crack in the rubber seal then the check engine light will not go off till the cap is replaced and the codes are reset.

kalamykid :

If the engine is ruuning well, he shoudl be safe to drive it till he gets to where he is going.

kalamykid :

As long as no other warning lights come on such as the temp light, alternator light.

Customer:

So, if I am understanding, this should go away after he has started the car up 5 times?

Customer:

Should he do anything to the gas cap now?

kalamykid :

As long as it is nothing but the gas cap. and he ahs to drive it through 5 drive cycles, that woudl be one drive cycle shut the car off, restart the car and then drive another drive cycle.

Customer:

Should he pull over, shut it off, and restart it 5 times?

kalamykid :

He shoudl still have the code read in the morning to make sure what has happened but 99% of the time it is nothing more then a gas cap problem.

kalamykid :

No he shoudl go ahead and drive th car to his destination, then he can go to his local auto parts store and they will read the trouble codes for him to see for sure what set the code off.

Customer:

He has at least 3 hours left on the journey...you feel fairly confident that he is okay?

kalamykid :

yes i do.

Customer:

Thank you so much...maybe now I'll get some sleep!!

kalamykid :

you are very welcome