GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

how can i remove the gas tank from a 1999 chevy suburban 1500 5.7

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The straps are attached on the front cross member and you remove those bolts to let the straps down.

Customer :

I have already done that.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok then if the straps are down as well then you need to pry as the foam is now holding it up there.

Customer :

I ave removed the bolts, let the straps down, and also removed the gas tank cover. The gas tank is still in place, and I don't see any bolts or nuts around it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

YEs the foam they put on to insulate it often acts like glue after time.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Pry down on the seam.

Customer :

Now the tank fell on it's own by the time I got back out there. How do I remove the gas lines from the tank ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

These are plastic? IF so there is a clip that you press each side to release it.

Customer :

The end of the gas lines appear to to be metal, and there are no clips.

GM Tech (Cam) :

There is not a metal line off the pump and then it goes into a plastic hose?

Customer :

The metal end is from the gas line, and not the pump. The pump ends are plastic that fits inside the metal ends of the gas lines.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK then it is a 2 part fitting that you use 2 wrenches on.

Customer :

There are clips inside of the metal coverings.So briefly the plastic ends f

Customer :

r

Customer :

Briefly, the plastic ends from the gas tank are covered by metal ends from the gas lines , but there are clips between the gas lines and the plastic end from the gas tank.

Customer :

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR A WRENCH.

Customer :

It,s getting late, and really want to change my fuel pump. Can you assist me further?

Customer :

I'll have to get help else where.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sorry I was called out.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If there is no fitting for a wrench then it is a plastic clip.