Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced
49697172

2003 Chevy Venture: Van..the temperature gauge fluctuates..run hot

My 2003 Chevy Venture Van --the temperature gauge fluctuates from acting like it is beginning to run hot, to normal. Some days it does this, some days it does not. Never does it do it when our mechanic has it out trying to find the problem thou. In fact, none of the 3 times the mechanic has tried to locate the problem. Par for the coarse, it usually waits until we are 150 miles from home. Has become a real headache. Any ideas as to what could be causing the gauge malfaction? Am desperate to repair (and give some peace of mind to passengers in car) and not much money available for yet another van repair. Please, please, help!!

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

Sounds like you have a problem with the temp sending unit this is called the engine coolant temp sensor and is located in this diagram. If these go faulty can cause intermittent cooling readings I would replace the sensor and inspect the wires. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

Where is the referenced diagram??

snapontech :

sorry not sure what happened let me get it again

snapontech :

Full Size Image

snapontech :

#8 ECT sensor

Customer:

thanks! Will apply your advice and see how it goes. I appreciate your quick response!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already did and was billed accordingly (with $2. tip)
Not sure what they said but yes I was paid and I am very grateful . Thanks

Danny