GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet 2500hd 05 duramax i keep losing prime i have to

Customer Question

05 duramax i keep losing prime i have to open up the bleeder and prime it and its fine again no fuel leaks i
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Are you pumping with the filter bleeder closed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i open up the bleeder and it has alot of air if i pu the idle when i start it every thing is fine ive done a smoke test on the fuel system and i see nothing no fuel leaks ive replaced the injector pump before because i had a fuel leak and that was the cause its had this problem for over a year if i dont give it gas when i start it sometimes its fine and some times it wont.. thanks armando
OK, try pumping till the plunger gets stiff with the bleeder closed. If it does not leak then you have a bad filter head. THat has check valves in it to stop the fuel from runing back, and when they fail it will do this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IVE ALREADY REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER BEFORE STILL DOES THE SAME THING IVE TRIED A/C DELCO AND WIX FUEL FILTERS SAME THING I DO PUMP IT INTILL THE PLUNGER GETS STIFF THANKS

NOT THE FILTER BUT THE HEAD WHICH IS THE MOUNTING THAT THE FILTER ATTACHES TO.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IVE REPLACED THAT ALSO IVE DONE SO MUCH TO THE TRUCK THE I FORGOT ABOUT THAT.. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.. THANKS

Is it hard to start on hot days after a long drive or when the engine is hot?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO IT DOESNT MATTER HOT OR COLD LONG DRIVE OR SHORT DRIVE IT STILL DOES IT
Then you have an air leak in the lines leading up to the filter. USe a clear section of hose to confirm this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MY FRIEND HAS AN 06 DURAMAX AND HIS IS STARTING TO DO THE SAME THING MINE HAS GOTTEN WORSE OVER TIME IN THE BEGINNING IT WOULD BE ONCE A MONTH KNOW ITS DOING 2 TO 3 TIMES A WEEK BUT IF I RAISE THE IDLE WHEN I START IT NO PROBLEM
Can you check for the air as I suggested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i will i left it at home today but i will have it here tomorrow and i will put it on the rack and check for air leaks chat tomorrow thanks
Ok.
Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked the lines for air none is it possible that the assembly in the tank is causing the fuel to return back is there a check ball in there??? Thanks Armando
There is a small flapper valve in the pick up but it is not often a problem, it is usually the filter mount.