Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

looking for proper procedure to bleed clutch on a 2006 chevrolet hhr

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Here you go.

Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding

^ Tools Required
- J 35555 Metal MityVac
- J 43485 Power Steering Bleeder Adapter

Vacuum Bleeding
1. Verify that all the hydraulic lines are dry and secure.
2. Clean dirt and grease from the reservoir cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.
3. Remove the reservoir cap.
4. Fill the reservoir using DOT 3 hydraulic fluid.

5. Important:
Brake fluid will deteriorate the rubber on the J 44894-A, use a clean shop towel to wipe away all fluid after each use.

Install the J 43485 and the J 35555 to the reservoir.
6. Hold the J 43485 into position while applying 51 - 68 kPa (15 - 20 hg) of vacuum.
7. Remove the adapter and refill the reservoir
8. Fully depress the clutch pedal cycling the pedal for 30 seconds.
9. Lift the clutch pedal to the up stop position and hold for 30 seconds.
10. Repeat steps 4-9 until all air is removed from the clutch system.

11. Important:
Do not start the engine while the transaxle is engaged, only while in the neutral position. This vehicle is equipped with a concentric slave cylinder (CSC) and will move if started in gear.

Place the vehicle into the neutral position and start the engine.
12. Pump the clutch pedal until firm.

13. Important:
The clutch and braking systems are integrated into one reservoir. The brake may be soft when first applying.

Pump the brake pedal until firm.
14. If needed, add additional hydraulic fluid.
15. Road test the vehicle to ensure proper operation.

Manual Bleeding

Notice:
Do not reuse the fluid that has been bled from a system in order to fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir for the following reasons:

1. The fluid may be aerated
2. The fluid may be contaminated
3. The fluid may contain too much moisture

Important:
Maintain the fluid level in the clutch reservoir to the top step with DOT 3 hydraulic fluid.

1. Clean dirt and grease from the cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.
2. Attach a hose to the bleeder port on the clutch actuator assembly. Submerge the other end of the hose in a container of DOT 3 hydraulic fluid.
3. Depress the clutch pedal quickly to the full depressed position.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

4. Push the clip in order to move the clutch line into the bleed position.
5. Move the clutch line into the normal position ensuring that the clip returns.
6. Lift the clutch pedal to the up stop position and hold for 5 seconds.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 until air is purged from the clutch system.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey...this is the same steps that my alldata is telling me to do, well this is not working at all. the problem im having is steps 3 through 6. step 4 is not correct or something cause the clip doesnt move any thing then step 5 says put the clip back in???? something is missing cause this is doing anything

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Are you able to move the clip?

Are you bleeding it due to an installation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes,i am able to move the clip.i am not bleeding due to an installation,bleeding because there was no pedal when starting working on vehicle
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

If there is no pedal then the master is likely bad. I have never seen one of those that lost pedal for no reason.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when the car came in it had a slight clutch pedal,master and slave are full.we have tried rfi bleeding,(revrese flow)still no pedal.can get air preesure but no fluid pressure.the procedure you sent to bleed the clutch is exactly what alldata says but there has to be some alternate way to bleed this system or theres a step missing???sorry to have such a crazy problem.this car has a strange master set up to,(crt,cri,something like that)
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure the master is not just bad? Or have you already replaced it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it was replaced recently.it is definately ok
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

If it was replaced and working and now there is no pedal it is bad or the slave is bad, they don't lose pedal for no reason.

Even if it is a week old I would not be surprised if it was bad, I have been seeing a lot of bad parts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i know what you are saying and would agree in most cases but not this one,if there is no other procedure to bleeding clutch the we are spinning our wheels.thanks anyway