Jay
Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  5 yrs experience, GM Trained,
12620940

Chevrolet silverado crew cab how do i release the back seat

Customer Question

how do i release the back seat of a 2005 chevrolet silverado pickup truck? i can take bottom of seat and pull it forward, but the back part of the seat will not release, on left side, i need to access that area behind the back part of the seat to get to a set of house keys and a first aid kit. please help.  the right side bottom will lift up and the

back of the seat will tilt forward ok.  i have gone thru the same procedure in the    past to access the left side of back seat--(tilt the bottom of the seat forward first then pull the back part of the back forward without any problem) now it will not

pull forward so that i can access that small space between the back of the back

seat and the back of the cab.   (can do that on right side of crew cab truck--but

at moment cannot access the right side of the back seat.  please help.. it is almost

98* out here and i need to get my kids inside out of this heat and into bed. 

please help asap.  thank you

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'll be able to help you in a second but first I need to know what style the seats? Is the rear seat just one long seat and is there a fourth door or only three doors?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the 2005 chev.silverado crew cab has a total of 4 full size doors, they open just like

any normal door handle punch and open.

the seat is a bench seat that 3 people can ride in comfortably back there (possibly

4-just never had to have 4 back there.

the bench seat splits both in the seat part and in the back part.

1/4 split bottom seat and back part on the right hand side, 3/4 split of bottom seat

and back part on the left hand side. (the manual said left side will not fold down

if locked or if release is set wrong--but the manual is very vague, unclear as to how

to unlock the back part or reset the release or to throw the release) hope this helps.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Ok so it looks like you need to pull on the strap at the rear of the seat cushion to move the bottom part of the seat outward (it would be a good idea to move the front seats in the most forward position). Then it sounds like the seat back is suppose to move forward and lay flat. Please let me know how it is going and reply if this is not working?

Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 5 yrs experience, GM Trained,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have pulled the straps forward to move the bottom of the seat forward that works (I did those tasks before igot to computer to seek your help But any way havedonethesamethingasyou instructed again and nothing happens on the left hand side .. Backofseat will not budge. Please goto to your users manual, review back seat operation and instructions. Can you figure tout?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Look for a lever at the base of the seat and make sure it is placed in the forward position?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Did it work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Leaver at base of seat. ??? Where???extrream right ,middle ? Where please?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
it should be at the base of the back seat but could be attached to a bar just under the seats themselves.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still have not found the lever, will go back and look again. Did your manualshowapicture of exact location???? Or. How. The thing worked? It cannot be that hard to find it and move Otto release position. --that bar. Is black and hard to see with limited. Lighting, still looking for release,,stay with me,it sakes few minutes to get back to truck. Ok

I know to look for small click up and downl. Lever this truck does not have oneofthose Iwill go searchonceagain.
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately my manual has no picture, look for anything under the seat and it may be attached to the bottom of the seats that you can pull or push?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have looked, pulled and pushed every thing all the way across. ,, my maual talks of release but doesn't tell or indicate /orshowpictureofwherethething is,,,can you ask a co worker for help?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
I'm going to opt out and see if someone else can help you, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Jay,will that help becoming tonight? In a few minutes?
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Hello,is the head rest completely lowered and is the front seat all the way forward?Is the front floor area in front of the rear seat clear of obstructions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes head rest is completely lowered, and f.seat all the way forward. yes.

and front floor area in front of rear seat clear of obstructions yes to that also. nothing

on floor except floor mats covering carpet nothing tall or in the way at all.

Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Then the release mechanism for the seat back is either broken or stuck.Try snapping the seat bottom back and forth hard to try and release the seat back.