Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Equinox LS start fuse has no power to it in the

Customer Question

start fuse has no power to it in the fuse bow on my 2005 chevy Equinox
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 3 years ago.

Does the vehicle not start? I'm curious why you're checking the start fuse for power, tell me what the base symptom is, and I can guide you in the right direction.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when I put the key in to start it turn key oer nothing happens eng does not turn over or nothing
Is this related to the other problem you were having with the AC system?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
have not got answer to a/c yet want to get car started first

OK. My schematic from GM shows a START fuse in your fuse block, but says that it is not used on this car.

What happened just before the car wouldn't start? Did it run normally the last time you shut if off, and now it just won't start? Or did you do some repair or work to the car that caused it to not start? Give me all of the information you can think of so I can help you figure this out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was just turning it on and off to check the a/c cluch to see if it was kicking on and it was working fine till one time it did not turn over
Is the security light illuminated on the dash with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it is not I was able to start it by jumping the starter synoid
I would use a test light to test all of the fuses, make sure there is power at all of the other fuses. Most of them should be lit up with the key on, with the exception of things like headlight fuses and such.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that and they all worked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes need to know what to do next to resolve this problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have not had a response from you for awhile. I am still waiting for further information to help resolve the problem I have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to know more I have done al the stuff u have said . I was trying to charge my A/C and I pull the high pressure swich to jump it top make the a/c commpresser kick on while cranking the car that did not work so I tryed the wire off the commpresser jump those that did not work so tryed the wire that plug into the commpressor that is when I turned the key and the car did not turn over . So that is when I started trying to trouble shoot the starter.
there was power to starter have power to all my fuses tested those withg a test light and a meter they tested good .All exept the one lable start it had no power to it. I was able to jump the slyinod to get it to crank but I took off starter went and had it tested it tested good they told me it could be the crank censor so I got home put starter back on and jump the starter drove it back to the parts store the put a scan tool on it and they only pulled one code it was a speed censor code would that code keep it from cranking or is it some thing eles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Sorry, I had to punch out for awhile last night. We can continue with this now. Let me get some information up here for you.

Here is a simple schematic of the starting system. Instead of me trying to tell you to test this pin or that connector, you can probably look at this schematic and see what needs to be tested, you seem like a fairly capable guy.

I'm going to do some looking at the AC schematic, too, and see if that plays into this
A crank sensor won't keep it from cranking, whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

As far as the AC, you should know that this isn't like the old days on cars where you can jumper switches and make things happen. I understand what you were trying to do, but you can't go about it that way anymore on modern cars. The AC pressure switch, the AC compressor, all of those components are all run by the PCM. If you're jumpering the pressure switch, you're shorting out a circuit in the PCM. The PCM decides whether to turn the compressor on based on a variety of inputs. The pressure switch isn't actually a on/off switch, it's a pressure sensor that sends a precise signal back to the PCM.

All of this jumpering and shorting could possibly have damaged the PCM, that's what I'm worried about. Since the PCM is what makes the starter work, again based on a variety of inputs, you have to be pretty careful about how you treat those inputs. Jumpering them is a bad idea.

When you get back to this, you can check the starter relay circuits. See if the PCM is grounding the relay on the yellow wire, pin B12. If the PCM isn't doing its job there, you're going to be pretty stuck unless you have a good scan tool. Once you've checked everything in that schematic, my best advice would be to take it to a good mechanic and have this diagnosed with the right tools. It's going to save you a bundle of money and frustration if you just give someone $75 to tell you what's wrong with it. And that same mechanic can use the scan tool to tell you why the AC isn't working, too, since the PCM controls that as well.