Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

My 2004..sunova workhorse vortec 8.1 L engine..oil filter..readings

Customer Question

My 2004 Itasca Sunova Workhorse Vortec 8.1 L engine suddenly started throwing low oil pressure alarms at random. The oil has been changed as hasd the oil filter to no avail. The digital oil pressure guage is all over on readings. I want to check the oil pressure and also would like to check/replace the sensor. Can you tell me where the sensor is located on this engine and what the procedure is for checking what the real oil pressure is? Frank
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

The location is in this diagram. As far as checking the oil pressure, you will need a test kit with a hose, gauge and adapter and maybe extra fittings for that application. I would try replacing the sensor first.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That does not look like something that I can access from the bottom of the engine or can I. Would you recommend that I go from inside the motor home to access from the top? What tools are needed to remove the sensor? What is the part number and is there an associated gasket?
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

From inside will be nessasary. You will need a special socket that you can get from the parts store. They might even loan you one. And a little teflon tape and that is it. This is what it looks like.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you still did not provide me a part number or an accurate description of what the specvial socket looks like. I am not going to give you a negative feedback but I also would like complete information....I paiud the top end price for detailed info on what it is that I need and how do I do it.

Also, how would I have measured the pressure without having that special socket??? You should have included that in the first email along with the part numbers and an accurate description of the socket. If you cannot assist me then please pass it on to someone who can; I am running out of time.

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

The parts store will direct you to the correct socket and you will have the new one in hand to confirm it is correct. It is just a simple sensor socket.

I mentioned that in the former response.

Sorry if I provided the info in a poor format.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neal,

I promise if you just give me the part number for the sensor I will accept and we'll be done. Again, it is a Workhorse Votec 8.1L gasoline engine.

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I left that out, the Duralast part number is PS631

Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neal,

There we go.....thank you so very much for the help. I have a bundle invested in a vacation weekend and this has brought everything to a stand-still until I get this fixed.

Great job!!!

Frank

Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I hate those last minute surprises!!!!