Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2002 Chevy tracker: It wont start..clutch..safety switch..Quick fix

I have a 2002 Chevy tracker. It won't start because the clutch ignition safety switch isn't working. Quick fix?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Disconnect clutch saftey switch and use a wire or paperclip to jump wires together. This should work if that is the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the switch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Been crawling under dash, don't see any wires to clutch pedel, just mechanical stuff
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The clutch Pedal Position switch mounts under the instruments panel, directly above the clutch pedal. I'm not able to find a picture, it has a black/red a black/yellow wire going to it If you still cant find it I'll look some more for a picture but so far I havent found one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Found the switch, jumped it, still no go. Everything else works, but nothing when I turn the key to start. Thought it was the switch because if I pressed harder on the clutch it would start.before
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Check for power at black/red wire going to switch with key in start position if none check 30 amp LAMP fuse. If good access wires at ignition siwtch both white/yellow and black/yellow wires should have voltage with key in start position if only white/yellow replace ignition switch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Took apart the key switch, and can turn the switch with a screwdriver. same thing. I didn't have a voltage checker. I'll grab one and get back to you in the morning. You have been a GREAT help. Thanks so far.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
No problem let me know how it goes when you get voltmeter or testlight, you can reply at any time even after you accept. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much Dan, got the tester, Ignition switch ok. Turns out it was a cut/bad wire before the clutch safety switch. jumping between the leads wouldnt help. Without the tester I NEVER would have found it. You are the best!