AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1999 Chevrolet Lumina: I replaced the bulbs but still no brake lights

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Lumina (car). The right and left stop/brake lights do not work, however the third one in the middle works. I replaced the bulbs but still no brake lights. I tried replacing the fuses but there are none. In the owner's manual it says the R.H. Stop Lamp (S.E.O.) fuse is #6 and the L.H. Stop Lamp (S.E.O.) fuse is #15. First of all what does (S.E.O.) mean and where fuse #6 & #15 go there are no electrical connections for a fuse to go into. What do I do without taking it to a dealer and getting charged $125.00 - $135.00 per hour to fix? Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

What size engine do you have?

Have you checked to see if you are missing power or ground to the left and right brake light bulbs?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
You might just have a bad multi function function switch. THis is very common!
You can run a test to verify this. Go to the 48 cavity connector under the Instrument Panel Cluster just left of the steering column and check for power on the white wire located at pin A6. Voltage should be present when the brake pedal is depressed. If so, replace the Multifunction Switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Engine size is 3100 SFI V6. Regarding power to the lights the drive / paring lights & directionals work so I don't think i am missind a power or ground to the lights. Regarding the multi function switch, wouldn't this affect the tird / middle light as well?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
No.. the third brake light switch is not wired through the multi function switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I check the switch? I don't have a volt meter
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
I just told you how to run the test.

Here it is again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does the Mutifunction Switch look like? I cannot see or find a 48 cavity connector to the left of the steering column. I removed the underdash sound panel. Is it behind that or do I have to remove the dashboard?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
The multifunction switch is the same switch as the turn signal switch. Just follow the wires down the column until you see the connector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, the test light lights up when I apply the brake. What's next?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

THis means that the brake light switch is sending power to the multifunction switch. The multifunction switch is not sending power out to the brake lights because it is bad and will need to be replaced.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checed both the incoming and outgoing white wires at the miltifuntion switch and the test light lights up at both places. Does this mean the multifuntion switch works? Pardon me for being such a pain in the ass but I am not a professional mechanic and I have never encountered this type of thing before.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
The white wire is power in to the turn signal switch when stepping on the brakes. THe dark green wire and yellow wire is the power out to the brake lights. You should be able to power both of these wires up one at a time and each brake light should light up one at time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You could have told me the multifunction switch is where the directional /turn signal switch is on the steering column. You made no mention of this. Consequently, I wasted about 2 hours looking for something that was staring me in the face. No, I do not accept your answer.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry about the confusion.. but I did tell you this a few posts ago.

Here is my exact words

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
By the way, I had to get a new debit card because your site is not secure. Sorry but I do not accept your answer.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
NO problem!

If you have any further questions regarding your vehicle, just let me know. I am trying hard to be sure that you are in fact happy with my answer.

I am confident that our site is secure. IF you have an questions about your credit card, you can contact just answer [email protected]

I will report this question to the moderators.