David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

2003 chevy express 1500: air conditioning..compressor..going bad..cool

Customer Question

I have a 2003 chevy express 1500 with front and rear air conditioning. The compressor looked to be going bad as the unit wont cool at idle and very little at road speed. I checked the pressures and they were 60 low and 250 high. I had a 03 express work van that the compressor went bad on and I replaced it and it has been fine for 100k miles. I replaced this compressor, flushed the condenser, evaporator, and lines. Also added a little oil, blew all the lines with compressed nitrogen then pulled into a vacume to 300 microns. When I started it up it was just as bad if not worse then before! What should I look for next?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Did you replace the orifice tube?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i did sorry i left that out.
It had quite a bit of metal in it.
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
I would test the cooling fan clutch,make sure it is moving plenty of air across the condenser.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i do that
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
With the engine off the fan should be hard to turn because of the clutch.If the fan spins easily then the fan clutch is probably bad.Also with the engine running,if you rev up the engine the fan should make a roaring type
Noise and you should be able to feel a very large amount of air when you hold your hand near the top of the fan area.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is this engaged from tempature or electrical when the a/c is engaged?
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
It Is a temperature drive viscous clutch drive by the engine waterpump pulley.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It looks to be running correctly. I am getting 250+ at idle and if i kick the rear on it will go 300 then out on high pressure. am i looking at excessive oil? plugged condenser? plugged reciever?
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
The metal should have been caught by the orifice tube so you should not have a restriction in the system.Too much oil will cause this type of problem.I only use 2.0 ounces for a compressor replacement.Excess oil is easily removed by taking off the accumulator and pouring out the excess oil.In the case of a lot of metal in the system replacing the accumulator is a good idea.You can blow through the condenser to test for a restriction.