Aran
Aran, General Motors
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician
56408184

Chevrolet S10 2000 chevrolet s10 gas gauge intermittenly says

2000 chevrolet s10 gas gauge intermittenly says empty
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Aran replied 5 years ago.

ChevTek :

Welcome to Just Answer, Your complete satisfaction is my goal. To streamline the diagnostics, please give all the details about your issue, thanks.
So the gas gauge will stay empty even with fuel in the tank is that correct?

Customer:

sometimes it will say full then drop to empty and the low fuel light will come on then it will go back to full tank or half tank reading.

ChevTek :

Have you had the engine computer checked for any codes?

Customer:

no, havent tried anything yet.

ChevTek :

No problem, based on your symptoms a fairly common issue is the sending unit inside of the tank. A quick scan of the computer from a local parts house, usually for free will confirm this. The code we are looking for is a po463 which basically says the sending unit in the tank is faulty. But I am confident that the sending unit is faulty already.

ChevTek :

Is that something you would try and tackle yourself or have a shop install it, the gas tank will have to come out.

Customer:

we'll check the code and fix it ourselves, thanks.

ChevTek :

Do you require any documentation as far as the service procedure?

Customer:

yes that would be helpful.

ChevTek :

One moment

ChevTek :

Click HERE for the file, without a hoist it is much easier to just take the bed off, there is 3 or 4 bolts on each side of the bed, remove them and the fuel filler neck from the bed, there is some other steps listed in the document, but once you pull the bed off the tank is right there and easily accessible.
If you have any questions along the way dont hesitate to post back here and I will assist you.

As a friendly reminder, a dealerships hourly rate is over 100 dollars an hour. The deposit you have PAID represents a significant amount of savings on your part for the information obtained. I work hard to make this a positive experience and to give you accurate information. If this post is sufficient for your problems remedy or was helpful in any way, please pass on the appreciation by clicking ACCEPT and offer positive feedback. As Experts on this site clicking ACCEPT releases a portion of your paid deposit to us and is our only means of compensation for our time and the generous savings we have passed on to you. Thank you for your patronage.

ChevTek :

Lastly HERE is a s10 forum that has some pictures that may be helpful, even though this is a blazer the changing of the sending unit once the tank is out is very similar, Thanks.