AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2003 chevy Tahoe: AC..rear side..12v to the blower and it works fine

Customer Question

2003 chevy Tahoe. My rear AC has stopped working. I pulled the rear side panel and applied 12v to the blower and it works fine. I thought it might be the blower motor control mod but i replaced it with a aftermarket (napa oem replacement) and it still doesn't work. help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Are you saying that the blower motor does not work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the blower motor works if i apply 12 volts to it

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Do you have auto or manual air?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
auto or manual doesn't work.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Do you have auto air or manual heating and air conditioning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i don't understand the question. I have an option for auto temp control or i can set it manually. How can i tell?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont know. How can i find out?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Is it digital?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
There is in fact a Technical Service Bulletin out for this problem. It is TSB number 04-01-39-009B. The cause explained in this TSB is a bad blower motor control module. There is a new updated design to prevent this from occuring again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i tried replacing the blower motor control module
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Did you replace it with the updated part?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i tried with a napa ECH BR532. no luck
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then chances are you have a bad blower motor resistor/relay. Just be sure it has power going into it on the brown and orange wire with the key on and blower on high.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats what i tried replacing

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
No.. the resistor and module are two different things.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where are they both located?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

I was eating dinner with the family.

Can you tell me how many wires go to this component that you have replaced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
3 wire, power, signal, ground
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. this might be our problem. THe blower motor resistor/relay for the rear has got about 8 or 9 wires going to and coming from it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you have a part #?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
You bet!

89018323
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you send a link with a pic?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

You bet!

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the image you sent is for the resistor.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

I know... it is the resistor and relay (relays) all in one.
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well that was a waste of 100 bucks. replaced and still doesn't work. suggestions?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Did you check the inputs to the relay/resistor like I had described?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
like you described? where?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
The brown and orange wire need to have power on them with the key on and blower motor switch selector set on high.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
reads 12v unplugged 2.13 plugged in
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Which wire? The orange or brown wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
orange. black is ground
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
What about the brown wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
purple 2.4v unplugged, 2.4 plugged in, with no key.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
There should be an orange wire and a brown wire going into the rear blower motor resistor. Both should have power with the key on and blower motor selector on high.

Double check this and let me know!

I am going to eat dinner with the family. I will be back with you in a few minutes. I will stick with you until we get this thing figured out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
black, purple and orange. Rear blower motor located in the back of my 2003, 5.3, 4wd tahoe
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

Can you take a picture and upload so I can see?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
There should be two different connectors going to and coming from the blower motor resistor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no. only 1, 3pin OPB in and 2pin PB to motor. Can I email you a pic or call me?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
I wish! But it is against JA rules to have outside contact outside of the site. OTherwise I would.

If you take a picture and have it svaed in your computer just use the "tree" icon or paperclip icon in the tool bar on top of the reply box to upload it to this page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. there should be another connector going into the resistor.

Can I get your VIN number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1GNEK13Z63J340176 more pics to come
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2003 Tahoe Rear Blower
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the VIN #

I checked two different wiring diagrams for two different sources and they both say that this blower motor resistor has two separate connectors.

One connector should have three wires and the other should have four wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pretty sure thats the front module not the rear. I'll go pull the front apart to confirm

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
I am looking at the wiring diagrams for rear/auxiliary blower motor from both alldata and Identifix.com. The rear blower motor resistor had three relays integrated into it the front one only has one. That is why the rear blower motor resistor/relay is more expensive than the front one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Yeah.. that is definitely not the blower motor resistor/relay..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its the control board. The signal line comes from here. Power comes from the front.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Right.. that sounds more like it..

We should not have to do anything with this...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
i need someone who has worked on a 2003, chevy, tahoe, 4wd, 5.3, rear blower problem
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. I think I may have found a different diagram that might go with your picture.

According to this diagram, the orange wire should have power, the black wire should have ground and the purple wire is the signal wire from the auxiliary module to the blower motor control processor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Can you check for power on the orange wire for me? I think we are close!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Orange (as posted before)

12v unplugged, 2.13 plugged in with car off and on

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Try powering this orange wire up and see if the blower motor starts working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. it works when i apply 12v to the orange wire.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. check the RR 30 amp HVAC fuse in the under hood fuse block to see if it is ok. Remove it and get a close visual on it.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
I think we may have found the problem. If the fuse checks out ok and it has power to it with the key on, chances are you just have an open or a break in the wire from the fuse to the blower motor control processor.

I am truly sorry that we could not get on the same page as each other. I think the problem was that I was looking up a diagram for a non flex fuel vehicle for some time. Either way, my apologies. I only want you to pay if you are 100% happy with my efforts. If not, please do not pay me. Because you have already accepted my answer, you can requests a full refund if you contact Just Answer atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I will understand completely and will not be offended if this is the route you decide to take. Again, it was my mistake and I apologize greatly.