David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master master certified

2008 Tahoe: bowtie emblem from the rear lift gate..No pins or bolts?

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Tahoe and want to remove the bowtie emblem from the rear lift gate. Is the entire emblem simply glued? No pins or bolts? It's a "no go" idea for me if bondo and paint are required. thanks!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
The emblem is held on with very strong 2 sided adhesive tape.You need a heat gun(basically a very hot blow dryer) to release the tape.You hold the heat gun to the front of the emblem and heat is 30 second increments until the adhesive releases.A good hair dryer may also work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I heated the emblem in 30 second intervals and even used fishing line. BUT, the emblem has two posts penetrating the liftgate. In other words, it has more than just glue. So now I'm disappointed that you did not mention that.

What I not supposed to remove the chrome frame as well? Can I have the existing gold bowtie painted to match the body or do I need a new one before painting it?
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
I apologize for the confusion I thought you were removing an emblem attached to the body panel.But your's is attached to the appliqué molding.The emblem is not made to be removed from the appliqué molding without causing damage.To remove the appliqué molding requires removing the the rear wiper motor to access the retaining nuts.You may be able to purchase a custom appliqué molding or have the your's painted to match after removal. Again I apologize for the confusion.Let me know if you need procedures to remove the appliqué molding.