kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

chevy S10 blazer will a 4.3 motor out of a 1999 blazer fit

will a 4.3 motor out of a 1999 blazer fit in a 1996 blazer
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

kalamykid :

Yes the 99 engine will fit your 96 truck. You may have to swap out the distributor, and the coil and ignition module.

Customer:

what year 4.3 motor are interchangeable in a 1995 blazer

kalamykid :

The 95 has the aluminum intake correct? and your 96 has a plastic intake correct?

Customer:

yes

kalamykid :

The 95 only has three years that willinterchang and that would be the 93-95. In 96 they went to a differnt head design

Customer:

wil any 3800 motor fit in my 98 pontiac bonneville

kalamykid :

There are a few differant designes on the 3800, and depending what direction up or down in years woudl determine what enigne will interchange, but for the most part, yes they are the same, but some had a crank sensor behind the harmonic ballancer and some did not. you also have the dis 3.8 and the distributored 3.8.

kalamykid :

the year range for the engine that will work in your 98 will be 96- 2002

kalamykid :

these will be direct bolt ins, with out making any changes.

Customer:

when i go to junk yard will a vin# XXXXX motor have a # XXXXX will tell me if it will work and what is the difference between 3800 1series and a 3800 2series

kalamykid :

The salvage yard shoudl have an interchange book that will tell them what engines will fit and witch will not .

kalamykid :

If they have pulled the engnine then they will have it marked as to what car they pulled it out of, so they can know what it will work in.

Customer:

is there a list with #'s or something on it to tell me what will interchange or not so i would know if i buy from a individual

kalamykid :

No. yuo would have to go by the intake and valve covers to tell the differance in the two.

Customer:

can i buy a book that shows the interchangeable motors myself. when i go get parts and they see i am female they always want me to buy something different, this way i would know myself. i can work wrench too. i would like to learn to do all my own work so i am still learning.

kalamykid :

If you go to a good salvage yard they will always make sure you get the parts that fit your aplication. As for buying an interchange book, therte are about 300 books to buy depending on what yu are cross referancing, and the books run around $200-$400 each.

Customer:

can u please point me in a direction where to purchase? sorry for all the questions

Customer:

i went to LKQ and pulled a 4.3 out they told me would fit ,bought it but the bolting to the trans was different along with the oil pan the 1996 blazer has a alumin pan and the motor didn't bolt all around the transmission just on top so a gentlemen here said it would not work so it sits in my pole barn

kalamykid :

here s the best place to get an interchange program, as the books are very hard to find. YOu may be able to find the interchange books on ebay, http://hollanderinterchange.net/ .

kalamykid :

If the engine had a mteal oil pan then it must have been a lat 95 engine and no it will not work at all.

Customer:

thanks for all the help and patients with me. i will give it a try the only way to learn is try and i like to be independent. thanks a bunch

kalamykid :

you are very welcome.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q