Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2004 Chevy Venture: Fuel gauge will go..full tank..slowly..somewhere

2004 Chevy Venture, code P0651 and P0453 reoccuring. Fuel gauge will go to full tank reading and will slowly come down to somewhere close to where it should be, this takes about 20 min. Turn the key just to on and the fuel gauge indicates correct fuel level. Start the van and it will indicate full again.
5V volt reference circuit is probably affected, but I don't have any wiring diagrams to check this from the ECM. Might be a shorted sensor on the 5V line but again I need wiring diagrams.
Last bit of info, I stuiply caused this problem by washing the inside carpets with a pressure washer ( I know what your thinking,lol). Before this I had no problems. I have removed the wiring harness from both sides of the van and opened them up to clean out the water. Everything is dry now but some water may have sprayed up under the console. All splices appear fine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Go under the van and follow the harness from the fuel tank forward. It plugs into a connector in the floor of the van directly behind the drivers seat. This connector is likely full of moisture, and possibly has corroded terminals. Dry and clean out the connector and make sure the terminals are intact. Then fill connector with dielectric grease to prevent further water intrusion.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX connector inside or outside the van?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Outside the van. Under the floor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to let you know you where correct about the connector, when I unplugged it water poured out of the bulkhead. I removed the bulkhead from the floor and throughly clean it with contact cleaner and packed it with dielectric compond. Fuel gauge works fine and the codes have stayed cleared.

Thanks.

Can you answer a question on A/C problems?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Yes, what kind of problem are you having with the a/c?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well the van was parked for a year, no use, it was working then.

I can hear the A/C clutch engage but it does not cut out until I turn off the A/C and it does not cool down. I also can hear a boiling / hissing sound behind the dash on the passenger side, I assume this is where the evaporator is located. It stops when I turn off the A/C. I checked the valve that is located on the tube between the rad and engine ( blue cap ) and it has pressure. I don't have a gauge. Is Blue for the low side?

I assume the refrigerant is low due to a leak in the system. I also noticed that the 5V ref controlled a pressure switch for the A/C, so I thought that when I repaired the water problem I'd get lucky and the A/C would work again, but no luck on that.

I realize this might be hard to trouble shoot without taking it to a shop but I thought I'd run it pass you before I do that.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Your problem is most likely due to a low refrigerant condition. You can get a charging kit with a can of refrigerant and charging adapter with a gauge from Wal Mart for around $20. Connect this to the port with the Blue cap and try adding refrigerant to the system. When the system starts cooling, you should read a consistent 35 psi on the gauge.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician