Aran
Aran, General Motors
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician
56408184

Chevrolet HHR LS Does the Chevy HHR have an inline fuel filter

Customer Question

Does the Chevy HHR have an inline fuel filter or is it in the tank? What type of tools will I need to change out the filter?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.

Chevtek :

Welcome to Just Answer, Your complete satisfaction is my goal. To streamline diagnostics please give all the details about your issue, Thanks.
What motor do you have in your vehicle?

Customer:

give me a sec and i will go look

Customer:

cant find the info on any of the repair paperwork, so I'm not sure

Chevtek :

Thats ok, initially I thought it would have made a difference but the HHR'S all have an internal "filter" inside of the tank now that is considered a lifetime filter so it is not serviced in a maintenance interval. Were you looking to do it as a preventative maintenance or are you looking to repair a running issue?

Customer:

I have a problem with it hesitating when I step on the gas, I thought it might be a plugged fuel filter..any other suggestions

Chevtek :

Has there been a check engine light that has ever come on?

Customer:

Nope

Chevtek :

How many miles on the vehicle?

Customer:

64000

Customer:

I just had the oil changed but it was hesitating before that, it seems like it started gradually...not really sure if its a problem but I wanted to cover my bases in case it gets worse

Chevtek :

So if I understand you correctly, it did not always do this, but has recently come on and progressively gotten worse, is that accurate?

Customer:

It's not worse just consistant at this time, I noticed it over a few months time, when you step on the gas it feels like it takes a minute for it to go, but it has no problem picking up speed once it does go

Customer:

I'm thinking I should put some fuel injector cleaner in and see if that helps

Chevtek :

I was just headed there great logical approach, I scanned for bulletins relating to your symptoms and the only thing that remotely comes close is injectors overtime getting deposits on them from normal engine operation, causing hesitations etc. I agree with you at this point.

Customer:

Ok I'll try that, do you have a brand that you can recommend

Chevtek :

If you want to go GM there part # XXXXX XXXXX from the dealer. I have heard good things about a product called SEAFOAM but have yet to have any experience with it. Most autoparts houses would carry the SEAFOAM.

Customer:

I've heard of seafoam, I'll check with the auto parts store.

Customer:

Thanks for the assist I wasnt looking foward to changing the fuel filter, lol have a good nite.

Aran, General Motors
Experience: Chevrolet Technician