Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Express 2500: how do I remove the engine from my

how do I remove the engine from my 2003 Chevy express van? I tried taking out of the bottom, that didn't work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

it comes out the front

this should help

thanks

Removal and Replacement

Engine Replacement

Tools Required

• J21366Converter Holding Strap
  • J42451-1 Engine Support Adapter
  • J38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the engine cover.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Recover the HVAC refrigerant.
  4. Drain the cooling system
  5. Remove the sheet metal to radiator support bolts and supports from the vehicle.
  6. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  7. Remove the coolant reservoir.
  8. Remove the right and left headlamp capsules.
  9. Remove the front bumper.

1. Reposition the radiator inlet hose clamp at the water pump
  2. Remove the radiator inlet hose from the water pump.

1. Reposition the radiator outlet hose clamp at the water pump.
  2. Remove the radiator outlet hose from the water pump.

1. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines from the radiator.
  2. Disconnect the oil cooler line from the radiator, if equipped.
  3. Disconnect the HVAC lines from the condenser.
  4. Disconnect the ground G106 from the right hand inner fender.
  5. Disconnect the C4 at the underhood fuse block.
  6. Disconnect the positive battery cable from the underhood fuse block and position aside.

1. Remove the core support retaining bolt (3).
  2. With the aid of an assistant, remove the core support assembly with the radiator, condenser radiator hoses and fan shroud intact.
  3. Remove the clutch fan.
  4. Remove the accessory drive belt.

1. Remove the air bleed hose (1) from the throttle body.

1. Remove the generator bracket from the engine. Leave the generator and power steering pump retained to the bracket. Use a suitable strap and position the bracket assembly aside.

1. Remove the radiator vent inlet hose from the throttle body.

1. Remove the ground strap from the frame and engine.
  2. Remove G104 and G105 from the engine.

1. Remove the air conditioning compressor (2).

1. Disconnect the heater hoses from the water pump.
  2. Remove the intake manifold.
  3. Remove the ignition coils from the engine.

1. Remove the coolant air bleed pipe (2) from the engine.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Remove the oil drain plug and drain the oil into a suitable container.

1. Remove the starter motor.
  2. Disconnect the catalytic converter pipe from the exhaust manifolds.
  3. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
    • The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (1)
    • The engine oil level sensor (6)
    • The coolant heater, if equipped

1. Remove the battery cable channel bolt.
  2. Slide the channel pin out of the oil pan tab.
  3. Gather all branches of the engine wiring harness and reposition off to the side.

1. Remove the lower 6 bell housing to engine studs and bolts. Leave the top 2 studs in place.

1. Remove the torque converter bolts.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Remove the left and right exhaust manifolds.
  4. . Install the J42451-1 to the cylinder heads. Tighten the M10 engine lift bracket bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .

1. Remove the left and right engine mount-to-engine mount bracket bolts.

1. Remove the transmission oil level indicator tube nut.

1. Remove the transmission oil level indicator tube.

1. Remove the top 2 automatic transmission studs.
  2. Install a floor jack under the transmission for support.
  3. Install an engine hoist to the J42451-1.
  4. Separate the engine from the automatic transmission, if equipped. Install the J21366 to the transmission in order to hold the torque converter.
  5. Remove the engine.
  6. Install the engine to an engine stand.
  7. Remove the engine hoist.
  8. Remove the J42451-1 from the engine.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the J42451-1 to the engine. Tighten the M10 engine lift bracket bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install an engine hoist to the J42451-1.
  3. Remove the engine from the engine stand.
  4. Install the engine to the vehicle.
  5. Align the engine and transmission.

1. Install the left and right engine mount-to-engine mount bracket bolts. Tighten the engine mount-to-engine mount bracket bolts to 65 Nm (48 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the upper transmission bolts until snug.
  3. Remove the floor jack from under the transmission.
  4. Remove the engine hoist.
  5. Remove the J42451-1 from the engine.
  6. Install the left and right exhaust manifolds.
  7. Install the intake manifold.

1. Install the ignition coil(s) and the spark plug wire(s).
  2. Raise the vehicle.

1. Remove the J21366 from the transmission
  2. Install the automatic transmission bolt/studs, if equipped.

1. Install the torque converter bolts, if equipped.
    • If equipped with the 4L60-E, tighten the torque converter bolts to 63 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
    • If equipped with the 4L80-E, tighten the torque converter bolts to 60 Nm (44 ft. lbs.) .

1. If equipped with the 4L80-E automatic transmission, install the transmission converter cover bolts. Tighten the transmission converter bolts to 33 Nm (24 ft. lbs.) .

1. If equipped with the 4L60-E automatic transmission, install the transmission bolt and stud on the right side. Tighten the automatic transmission bolts/studs to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the automatic transmission oil level indicator tube, if equipped.

1. Install the automatic transmission oil level indicator tube nut, if equipped. Tighten the automatic transmission oil level indicator tube nut to 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the positive battery cable clip and bolt. Tighten the positive battery cable clip bolt to 9 Nm (80 inch lbs.) .
  2. Install the catalytic converter.
  3. Connect the following electrical connectors:
    • Crankshaft position sensor
    • Engine oil level sensor
    • Coolant heater, if equipped
  1. Install the starter motor.
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. Position the generator bracket assembly to the front of the engine.
  2. Install the generator bracket assembly. Tighten the generator bracket bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
  3. Install the heater hoses to the water pump.

1. Install the air conditioning compressor (2) to the engine. Tighten the compressor mounting bolts to 68 Nm (50 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the air conditioning discharge hose to the compressor. Tighten the bolt to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.) .
  3. Install the engine ground strap to the frame. Tighten the bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Install the ground strap and negative battery cable to the engine. Tighten the nut to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
  5. Install the clutch fan.

1. Install the accessory drive belt.

1. With the aid of an assistant, position the core support assembly to the vehicle.
  2. Install the core support bolts.
    • Tighten the core support bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
    • Tighten the core support nuts to 57 Nm (42 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the positive battery cable to the underhood fuse panel. Tighten the bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.) .
  2. Install the G106 to the inner fender. Tighten the bolt to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .
  3. Connect the C4 to the underhood fuse panel.

1. Install the air conditioning lines (2) to the condenser. Tighten the remaining nuts to 16 Nm (12 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the transmission cooler lines to the radiator.
  2. Install the oil cooler lines to the radiator, if equipped.
  3. Install the radiator hoses to the thermostat housing and water pump.

1. Install the coolant air bleed to the throttle body.

1. Install the headlamp capsules (4).

1. Install the front bumper.
  2. Caution: In order to avoid possible injury or vehicle damage, always replace the accelerator control cable with a NEW cable whenever you remove the engine from the vehicle. In order to avoid cruise control cable damage, position the cable out of the way while you remove or install the engine. Do not pry or lean against the cruise control cable and do not kink the cable. You must replace a damaged cable. Install a NEW accelerator control cable. if required.

1. Install the air cleaner assembly (4).
  2. Install the coolant reservoir.
  3. Install the sheet metal to the fender supports. Tighten the bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Fill the cooling system with coolant.
  5. Fill the crankcase with the proper quantity and grade of engine oil.
  6. Perform the CKP system variation learn procedure. Important: After an overhaul, the engine should be tested. Use the following procedure after the engine is installed in the vehicle.
  1. Disable the ignition system.
  2. Crank the engine several times. Listen for any unusual noises or evidence that parts are binding.
  3. Enable the ignition system.
  4. Start the engine and listen for unusual noises.
  5. Check the vehicle oil pressure gage or light and confirm that the engine has acceptable oil pressure.
  6. Run the engine speed at about 1000 RPM until the engine has reached normal operating temperature.
  7. Listen for sticking lifter and other unusual noises.
  8. Inspect for fuel, oil and/or coolant leaks while the engine is running.
  9. Perform a final inspection for the proper engine oil and coolant levels.
  1. Close the hood.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK now I understand that is the book way to do this. I recently bought a used engine and transmission for this exact van. The shop I bought it from removed it complete with the tranny and all accessories. That is the way I picked it up from him. I want to pull mine out complete and swap them, tranny included. help

you still will need to remove the grill and bring it out the front

this is about the only way to get these out

thanks