Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

Chevrolet Equinox LT 2006 equinox low radiator fan inop i

2006 equinox low radiator fan inop
i bench tested the fan motor is ok
i got power to the fan motor when the a/c is on or the engine is hot
i thinking it needs grown what sender unit will give grown to circuit
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok the left side fan motor gets its ground through the right fan motor on low speed that is controlled by a relay.
lets do some test to see what is going on. Disconnect both fan motors. on the right side fan motor( passenger side) check the black wire for a ground. ( let me know if you don't know how to do this step). If it has a ground. remove the cooling fan high relay out of the fuse box under the hood and then Jump the black wire to the gray wire ( like put a paper clip in between the terminals on the connector but dot force it in) on the right fan motor connector and check the white wire on the left fan motor connector for a good ground.
Check this and let me know what you have and we can go from there. This will tell us what area to look next.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fan on the passenger side is working normal do i need to do this test
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
The drivers side fan gets it ground through the passenger side fan when in low speed and when in high speed it gets the ground from a different source.
If you check the ground on the drivers fan connector with the passenger fan connector jumped. that will tell us if we need to look at a relay below the headlight or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i have no ground on the white left fan wire when i did the test
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
There is a relay that switch the ground back and forth that need to be checked. The relay is on the drivers side below the head light. You can get to it by removing the head lamp assembly or going from underneath.
Disconnect the relay and check the connects to make sure its not corroded up. if looks ok, then jump the white wire to the black wire and see if you have a ground then on the white wire at the fan connector.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok the pin for the white wire looks burnd and after i jumped the white and black i have ground on the white wire at the fan
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If it looks burnt, replace the relay and the connector end. disconnect the battery for a few minutes after the repairs are made and then run the engine to see if all works then.
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician