Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced

2003 suburban: I repair a rear hatch window hinge

How can I repair a rear hatch window hinge on a 2003 suburban? (Actually the hinge is intact--it separated from the window structure.)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr.Automotive replied 3 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

where's the answer?

snapontech :

So your tallking about the part that allows you to prop open the window?

Customer:

No. the right hinge at the top of the widow has separated from the window.

snapontech :

ok let me check on this

snapontech :

So you have two doors in the rear

Customer:

No. There is a single hatch door that opens from the bottom up. The door contains a window that also opens from the bottom up. The door opens fine. The window is now supported by one hinge at the top left and the two couter-balancing struts on each side. This is the standard configuration for this model suburban.

snapontech :

This is a common problem that they never put out a RECALL on it but the best way to fix is using the same solution they use to reattach the rear view mirror.

snapontech :

This can be purchased at any auto parts store you will have to make sure the glass is clean as it can be

snapontech :

Then use the solution to reattach the hinge to the window this should fix the problem you will one to inspect the other side as well

Customer:

The widow has some kind of molded material encasing the glass along the entire top side. The hinge broke out of the molded material (shiny, black like some kind RTV) so the glass is not exposed.

snapontech :

Thats not cool. You will have to purchase a new hinge assembly for that side then it will attach to the glass

snapontech :

I would contact a dealer as this was a major problem that should have been covered because its a major hazard this model has alot of issues

snapontech :

If you google the rear window hinge on 2003 suburban you will see alot of information about this being a problem

snapontech :

They should have came up with a new design to fix the flaw in the old ones but in order to fix this you will need to replace the hinge which you will have to remove the whole assembly which the encasing then you will have to reattach a new hinge assembly. If they have come up with a new design that would be nice but from the looks its the same part even if you order the window assembly

snapontech :

They dont just sell the hinge thats the big problem with this you have to get a complete replacement rear window in order to fix the problem

snapontech :

With so many complaints chevy should cover this junk product but most likely they wont so the cheapest repair will be going to www.car-parts.com and getting a good used one

snapontech :

Let me know if you need anything else. Sorry about the confusion I didnt look at the year but that is the only fix for it is to replace the entire rear window this will come with a new assembly and is the only way to fix the problem! If I have assisted you please hit ACCEPT. Have a great evening Danny

Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced