Aran
Aran, General Motors
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician
56408184

Chevrolet Camaro RS I can not located the starter relay in

Customer Question

I can not located the starter relay in a 1992 rs I looked under the dash next to the fuse box I have a cliton manual electical diagram but I can't find it I can jump out my starter and the car will start but when I try to start the car with the key it does not turn over the instrument panel light up when I try to start it so the ignition getting power it looks to to be the starter enable switch thanks for the help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

5.7L engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
5.0 305ci
Thanks,

Under the hood, driver side, top of firewall.

graphic

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is a TBI its not TPI fuel injection I don't see the starter enable relay on the diagram that you sent me

What's the 8th letter in the vin #.....E or F
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
E
Thanks,

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Your telling me its the fuel pump relay On my diagram its called a starter enable relay The car does not turn over at all with the ignition if I jump out the starter to the battery the car starts so I'm thinking its the starter relay not a fuel pump relay
Man i am really sorry,,,i am also working with a guy thats trying to find his fuel pump relay and i got mixed up,,,,dang it's been a LONG week....be right back.
Ok,

This doesn't have a enable relay that i show. I do know that sometimes it's called that but this should only have a neutral switch and the starter solenoid (which they call an enable relay). So...following that diagram you should be able to track the power source (yellow wire) from the ignition switch at the top, all the way down to the starter.

The neutral switch is real common to fail on these and if it's an automatic, sometimes it will start by wiggling the shifter between neutral and reverse and neutral and drive and it might catch it and start.

Either way if you use a test light and start at the neutral switch to see if it has power to the yellow wire when trying to start it, if it does, it should also have it coming out of the switch to the starter.

graphic

I have to head out so if you have any questions just reply and i will check later today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the gear selector switch I disconnected the connecter and check for voltage on the green (its not a yellow wire like you show on your diagam) to ground and then from the purple wire to ground no power, the diagram I have show that theres a start enble relay before the gear indicator switch I have a pass- key decorder module if this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The chilton wiring diagram is showing a dark green wire from the start enable relay to the gear selector switch and a purple from the selector switch to the starter I have no voltage on either one What I don't understand is theres 6 wires going into the gear selector switch I have 12 dc on a blue wire which does not make sense the wiring diagram does not show these wires its really fusturating hope this helps
Hi sorry for the delay,

I will have to put your question back on the list for other experts because i have to be gone the rest of the day, and i am just checking your message on my cell phone right now and won't be able to be in contact. If someone else can help, you will get an email.

Best wishes!
Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, Your complete satisfaction and a positive experience is my goal for you.
Did you ever find you relay? It shows over by the fuse block, there is 4 wires, to bypass this just butt connect or jump the green and yellow wires together, the car not starting is a security issue most likely to do with the pellet in the key. Also here is a schematic for you.

If you have other questions or need any clarification please ask.

As a friendly reminder, a dealerships hourly rate is over 100 dollars an hour. The deposit you have paid represents a significant amount of savings on your part for the information obtained. I work hard to make this a positive experience and to give you accurate information. If this post is sufficient for your problems remedy or was helpful in any way, please pass on the appreciation by clicking ACCEPT and offer positive feedback. As Experts on this site clicking ACCEPT is our only means of compensation for our time and the generous savings we have passed on to you. Thank you for your patronage
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I did not find it can you put a arrow in the picture to show what it looks like. I've tried my spare key and it did not work I cleaned the key with steel wool still didn't work

Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.
No problem buddy I can appreciate your frustration, usually the problem is not the key it is in the ignition switch, the wires that carry the signal from the key are broken most likely so to fix it the right way would be to replace the ignition switch
If you want to try and bypass things you will have to bypass the wires I talked about, I will include the picture with an arrow, let me know what you find.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So this is the starter enable relay?
Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.
Correct, the pass key decoder module or theft module grounds the relay to allow the vehicle to start once it determines that a correct key is inserted into the ignition.
Did you find it?
A quick test is to jump the green and yellow wire and see if it starts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So why are the green wire and the [looks like a white wire] cut. Those two wires that are cut connect together two jump it out Thanks for the help Its dark out I'll try to do it tomorrow
Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.
No problem buddy I appreciate your patience, I should have given you more history on the picture. I actually found it online. Someone had bypassed the theft module by joining those 2 wires together, I just used the picture as a reference for you. So to clarify the wires to the relay that we want are green and orange, just use a paper clip or something to jump those 2 wires together and then turn the key and see if it cranks. Keep me posted.
Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.
One more clarification on my clarification. I said GREEN and ORANGE wire on the relay, however I meant GREEN and YELLOW, sorry about the mix up and keep me posted.
Aran, General Motors
Experience: Chevrolet Technician