Aran
Aran, General Motors
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician

Tc: abs..braking..the left front tire grinds and shakes

Customer Question

abs and tc light on ...2005 avalanche 1500....when braking the left front tire grinds and shakes just before coming to a complete stop...thought it was the brakes....changed and still with light on and braking problem. any advice
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Aran replied 3 years ago.

Chevtek :

Welcome to Just Answer, Your complete satisfaction and a positive experience is my goal for you.
Other than the brakes, tires and alignment has any thing else been done to try and correct this issue?

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

tried taking out fuse for abs

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

nothing

Chevtek :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let me do a little checking I have an idea or two.

Chevtek :

I have found a bulletin that describes your situation. Over time rust accumulates under the speed sensor and increases the distance from the sensor to the reluctor ring, so as you come to a stop the sensor signal drops off and the abs module sees this as a tire skidding and the abs kicks in. Basically the bulletin had you remove the sensor, clean the mounting surface with a file or something and then reinstall it.

#03-05-25-007D: Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation at Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface) - (May 1, 2009)

Subject:Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface)

Models:2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2006 Chevrolet Express

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

1999-2006 GMC Sierra

2001-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2003-2006 GMC Savana

2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 Silverado/Sierra Classic models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-05-25-007C (Section 05 -- Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.

Correction

Measure AC voltage and clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.

2. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor connectors at the frame and harness.

3. Place a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) across the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector.

4. Rotate the wheel clockwise approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. If the reading is less than 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel speed sensor. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.

5. Plug the wheel speed sensor bore in order to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service.

6. Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, scotch brite, or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion.

7. Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor.

8. Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (in Canada, P/N 89022218).

9. When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor O-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (in Canada, P/N 993037).

10. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.

11. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

89022217

(Canadian P/N 89022218)

(Package of 2 cans)

Rust Penetrating Lubricant

(Each can will service 50+ vehicles)

1

01051344

(Canadian P/N 993037)

(Package of 12 tubs)

Wheel Bearing Lubrication - Tub

(Each tub will service 25+ vehicles)

1

Did the bulletin come through?

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

yes....how much something like this cost

Chevtek :

Are you going to do it or have a shop?

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

shop.. if not easy

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

it only happens sometimes and when it does it happens right before coming to complete stop so that sounds like thats the problem

Chevtek :

I agree, that is the first place to start, it is very common. If you had someone do it you would probably be looking around 200 dollars.

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

and until i fix it ...would disengaging the fuse for the abs and tc work by turning to normal braking

Chevtek :

Its up to you, it is actually not hurting anything, but if you wanted you can pull the abs fuse, but the abs light will come on.

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

i did and it turned the brake light on too ....but should that stop it until i fix it

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

if thats the problem

Chevtek :

Correct it will and wont hurt anything until you get it fixed.

JACUSTOMER-aesqx1mv- :

great thanks

Chevtek :

Have them check the wheel bearing on the lf tire also to make sure it is tight, otherwise I would go with the sensor cleaning. Thanks.

Aran, General Motors
Experience: Chevrolet Technician