BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2009 Chevy: 2) Check engine light comes..steering..Service engine

2009 Chevy HHR - Experiencing the following: 1) Anti-theft light comes on for no reason 2) Check engine light comes on 3) Anti-skid light comes on 4) An array of error messages are generated such as: Service ESC, ESC off, Service steering, Service engine etc. etc. 5) Sudden loss of power while driving 6) A/C shuts off and may or may not resume and if resumes then only for a short while. 7) Transmission gets confused and has a hard time trying to determine what gear it should be in and shifts back and forth trying to determine which gear to use. When it shifts it shifts Very hard. Almost as if it was getting kicked surprising occupants of the car. 8) The Speedometer bounces irractically along with the RPM gauge at times. The temp indicator and fuel indicator will also bounce and at times while driving down the road they will simply lay down as if the car has been turned off. (Have videos of dash whilr driving) 9) It also loses approx 1 mile / per gallon during the above mentioned issues. 10) It will refuse to start at times, usually after the above symptoms have been occurring for a while. 11) Have also experienced the Anti-skid control being activated on a dry road while turning left making one hell of a sound as it tried to correct for a non-existant sid. Observations: The order in which the symptoms occur is almost random athough it would seem more often than not it is either the Ant-theft light that comes on first or the check engine light that comes on first, accompanied by a bell going off then followed by the other issues mentioned above. This order of warning lights does vary at times. Car seems to do this more often than not while I am making a left hand turn and when the humidity is high. As the problem continues it steadily gets worse and becomes more frequent. It has become almost expected that the car will refuse to start at some point. I have played around with the gear shift trying to find a position to start her, not much luck. However, as strange as this may sound I tried to rock the car from drivers side to passenger side and was able to get her started sometimes as a result. Other times I have been able to get it started by having someone turn the ignition while I drop the hood. The car has been in the dealership for the same issue 7 or 8 times over a period of 10 weeks and they have Not been able to fix it. I was told the computer was even replaced and still the problem remains. What is the solution ? Shoot it ?? Exorcist Maybe ?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 3 years ago.

BOBBYSS :

Hello JACUSTOMER, look into a bad body control module or a bad connection at the module. This module is what these systems have in common. More than likely it will need to be replaced.

Customer:

Bobby,

BOBBYSS :

Hello?

Customer:

My apologies for getting back in touch with you soon as I had hope. I had to go out of town for a couple of days on business. A little background, I am a computer tech with a strong electronics background, so feel to speak techize freely. My question is basically What is a Body Control Module ? What is it's purpose ?

Customer:

For not gett ing in touich sooner

Customer:

Not being in the auto industry I have no clue what a BCM is or why it would affect so many systems in the car. Could you please elaborate a bit. I have spoken with a number of auto techs that are suppose to know this stuff and they haven't a clue either as to what is going on hence my curiosity.

Customer:

I've been living with issue for so long, ... I don't know what to think but if you feel certain that this is the problem and replacing the unit will fix it, ... I will gladly take it back to the dealership and pass on the info and hope for the best.

Customer:

Sorry I just missed you today. I will try again sometime tomorrow during the day to see if you have recieved my reply and to read any comments that you may have left for me. Thank you very much for your suggestion. It certainly gives me hope that I can get this thing resolved without shooting it. In my humble opinion there is almost nothing worse than having a car that isn't reliable when you have responsibilities to fullfill.

BOBBYSS :

The body control module is a computer that controls the on and off functions of many of the vehicles electrical systems. It commonly fails internally and shorts through some of the switches and transistors. You will need to have the dealer replace this as it will need to br reprogrammed when replaced.

Customer:

It sounds a bit like a design issue to me if the components are shorting internally. Perhaps the component ratings / tolerances are not sufficient to handle the current. At any rate, it is also my understanding that there are 2 computers in an HHR and at one time a computer was supposedly replaced although I do not know which one. The replacement didn't seem to fix the issue because it was just a matter of a few days before all those issues returned. Having lost faith in the original dealership that I bought the car from, to fix the car, I was thinking of taking it to another authorized chevy repair facility to see what they could do. Would you consider this as a viable option or should I take it back to the original dealership ?

Customer:

Is there anything else I can do as a customer, besides suggesting the BCM replacement that might expedite and or resolve this issue ? Again Bobby I really appreciate your insite. I will take the car into a dealership next week to see what they can do about it. BTW - you have been the only person (7-8) that I have spoken to that has even brought up the BCM as being the possible cause of all the error messages, although the computer that they replaced a while back might have been the BCM but no one has ever used that terminology when talking with me.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 3 years ago.
Besides the BCM I would check connections at the BCM.
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got it. Thx. The car is at the dealership now. Will respond again as soon as I get the car back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bobby,

You are the man !

I got my car back from the second dealership this morning. They replaced the BCM and reprogrammed the ECM, TCM, EBCM. The number of error codes they found were numerous but after the work was complete (so far and albeit still early) the car runs like a top, as one would expect. I am still a little skeptical but hopeful. I Really Appreciate your ability to diagnose the problem from afar based on the info I gave you. At this point I would gladly click the accept button.

Thank you So Much !