GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1999 chevy tahoe: the transfer case bearing..steering wheel..hood

i have a 1999 chevy tahoe and i need to change the transfer case bearing do i have to split the transfer case or can i just take the front drive shaft out and pull the seal and bearing out also when i turn to the right at high speeds 55 mph or over if im in a long sweeping turn the tahoe will jerk to the right about a foot and the steering wheel jerks hard to the right about two inches its like there is a sticking point i have replaced the upper ball joints could the lower ball joints be problem and u can be short with ur answer i dont need to be spoon fed im pretty good under the hood
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
You will need to remove and split the transfer case to change any bearings.
With the turning, does that matter left or right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it has never done it to me while turning left
Are the CV boots or joints leaking grease?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this happen when in 4wd or 2wd?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 wheel
Ok, I suspect something in the joint that is causing this. YOu will need to take it out and move it around to check the range of motion
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the cv joints are fine
Where do you hear or feel it most?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
u cant hear it the steering wheel just gives about two inches to the right when your in a turn and the tahoe moves about a foot when this happens to the right its likes something gives out in the the steering box it maybe a pitman or idler arm not sure cuz i havent checked them yet but the the tie rods r fine i thought it was the upper ball joints cuz they were real bad but i replaced them it may be the lower balls joints
This is very strange. what condition is the idler arm support in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the idler arm support is good im thinking its a bad spot in the steering box there is no play in the upper or lower ball joints or the inner or outer tie rods and when u turn the wheel it turns two inches both ways before any steering componets move such as tie rods and such what do u think
If you have checked evything else then I would think that is the only thing left .