Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced
49697172

Chevy: wont start..ignition key, non..instrument cluster lights come

Hi, I have a 06 Chevy Equinox, that wont start. I pretty sure the battery is fine, because the lights inside and out of the car come on, but when I turn the ignition key, non of the instrument cluster lights come on and the radio will not come on, and usually this stuff comes on once the ignition is turned to the first setting. Do you know what this problem could be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr.Automotive replied 3 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

I need to know if your getting the security light flashing on the dash.

Customer:

No, no cluster lights come on when I turn the key.

snapontech :

I believe you may have a blown fuse

Customer:

That's what i was thinking. How do I check to see if that's the problem?

snapontech :

I will get a photo on here one moment

snapontech :

First check the battery feed fuse and the backup fuse

snapontech :

Let me know if you have any other questions at the moment. Thanks

Customer:

What about the ignition fuse? Shouldn't I check that since the ignition system seems not to be responding at all. All the lights other than the instrumentation light that come on when you turn the ignition come. So it seems like an ignition problem.

snapontech :

The battery feed controls everything

snapontech :

I have also had the reverse fuse cause no start

snapontech :

But if those fuses are good then you can go down the list and check all the fuses associated with the system like the ignition fuse

Customer:

Ok. How do I tell if its bad or not? Will the tip be black or something?

snapontech :

Normally when you pull the fuse out and look there will be a break thats noticeable on the fuse at the shop we use a ohm meter but inspecting normally works when the fuse is bad it will have a break in the line

Full Size Image

snapontech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok, thanks. I'll be right back.

snapontech :

Ok

Customer:

Sorry for the delay. Had a little trouble getting the fuse out. I took the fuses out and checked them. The one you said to check first didn't look broken, though it was pretty chard on the prongs, I don't know if that could be an issue or not. The other fuses related to it didn't look bad either.

snapontech :

That needs to be replaced

snapontech :

If there is any corrosion or anything then there is most likely a problem with that fuse

Customer:

Ok. I'll try that out and hopefully it works out. Thanks for your help. But just one thing before I let you go. If that doesn't work do you have any other ideas as to what it could be?

snapontech :

If you can get ahold of a Digital volt ohm meter we can trace the wiring and find out where the power is missing but if that fuse is as you described I believe it to be at fault

snapontech :

Thats the main fuse there and if its bad no power inside no start just like you described

Customer:

Ok, dude. Thanks for the help. How do I get back in contact with you on here for more advice from you?

snapontech :

Even after you accept you can still access this question and reply for free or let me get you my direct link

Customer:

Ok, what

Customer:

what is your direct link

snapontech :

you can bookmark that if you want and come to the box and write me

snapontech :

I am on here all the time

Customer:

Ok thanks.

Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced