Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 B0103 Electronic Front end sensor

Customer Question

B0103 Electronic Front end sensor 2 fault ????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Code B0103 is for the right side front sensor. Here is the test just in case you need it.

graphic

graphic

graphic

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The following can cause an intermittent condition:

• A short between the front end sensor signal and low reference circuits
  • High or low resistance in the front end sensor signal and low reference circuits
  • Inspect the front end sensor signal and low reference circuits carefully for cutting and/or chafing
  • Verify that the correct front end sensor is installed in the vehicle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you had any complaints about this before...and would you change the right front end sensor.....
I would normally go through the test, but it is probably the sensor, (or connection) and they have to be replaced whenever the airbag(s) is deployed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

right side sensor on the front end crossmember...right

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it's because I only see 1 in the middle of the front end crossmember
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and one more problem.....I always get a check engine light.....engine misfire alot.........and mass air flow sensior out of range a few times....today I'm changing the mass air flow sensor $$$$$$ but it's a 6.0L and OMG on gas $$$$$$ I hope it will help....tdid you ever heard of this one....I'm I doing the right thing????
Yes, the MAF sensor will normally make it use more fuel when it is reading incorrectly. Yes, the impact sensor is on the right side front radiator support on the ones that have 2.

You can check the parts label to see which one you have. Normally on the inside of the glove box. the dealership can run a VISS on the VIN number to see which it is. They are the only ones with the sensors, as far as I am aware.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now you would change the right side impact sensor (HP2) or the one in the middle witch would be the front end sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey....I just saw that the right side impact sensor (HP2) is in the passager door....so this being said I will change the inflatable restraint front end sensor(HVY)

Thank You very much for your Help !

Have a great day !

Eric Gagnon

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello again.....did change the inflatable restraint front end sensor(HVY)...and EXCELLENT it did the job....but I did mentionne yesterday that I decided to change the mass air flow sensor because of alot of check engine light with P0300 Engine Misfire Detected.....it came back yesterday as soon as I went home........do you have a solution.....I have had this probleme for a long time....
A random missfire code can be a number of things. Ignition related or fuel. The injectors clogging, vacuum leaks and such.

There has been a service bulletin for the intake gaskets though.

Engine - Rough Idle/Misfire/MIL ON/DTC P0300

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-029A

Date: June 24, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Flexible Fuel (RPO L59) Rough Idle, Misfire, MIL DTC P0300
(Install Intake Manifold Gaskets With Teal Green Gasket Material) Models:
2002-2004 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
with 5.3L Engine and Flexible Fuel (VIN Z - RPO L59)

This bulletin may apply to the following engines using regular fuel: 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L (VINs V, T, P, U, N - RPOs LR4, LM7, LM4, LQ4, LQ9).

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add additional diagnostic information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-029 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Important :Always begin your diagnosis with the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls (SI Document ID # XXXXXXX) for any MIL or driveability concern. The Diagnostic System Check directs you to the next logical step in your diagnosis. Follow the instructions in this bulletin should the rough idle, misfire, or DTC P0300 diagnostic procedure point to an air leak in the intake manifold gasket. Following the published diagnostic procedures will improve diagnostic accuracy and support our fix it right the first time approach.

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle may have a rough idle, misfires and/or a MIL illuminated with a stored DTC P0300.

Cause

The L59 engine is calibrated for ethanol fuel (E85). Due to the low volatility of ethanol, the PCM provides higher fuel flow through the injector, which may pool on the upper manifold to head gasket material. Overtime (usually 12 months and longer), the gasket material may degrade resulting in an unmetered air leak.

Correction

Replace the upper intake manifold gaskets with the teal green gasket material, P/N 89017589.

Important :Do not replace the upper intake manifold gaskets with the original orange gasket material, P/N 17113557.

Inspect Intake Manifold to Cylinder head Deck for Warpage

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Important :The intake plenum should also be checked for excessive warpage that may cause an uneven clamping pressure of the seal. If the plenum is found to be warped it will need to be replaced. Service Information states, "An intake manifold with warpage in excess of 3 mm (0.118 in) over a 200 mm (7.87 in) area should be replaced." Intake warpage is measured at the gasket sealing surfaces and should be measured within a 200 mm (7.87 in) area. This measurement is across only two of the intake runner port openings. Measurements taken across the entire distance of all four intake runner ports will lead to unnecessary manifold replacements. Important :Measurements taken across the entire distance of all four intake runner ports will lead to unnecessary intake manifold replacements.

1. Locate a straight edge across the intake manifold cylinder head deck surface. Position the straight edge across two runner port openings.
2. Insert a feeler gauge between the intake manifold and the straight edge. An intake manifold with warpage in excess of 3 mm (0.118 in) over a 200 mm (7.87 in) area is warped and should be replaced. Do not replace intake manifolds with warpage that measures less than 3 mm (0.118 in) over a 200 mm (7.87 in).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You !