Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Chevrolet Venture 2000 Chevy venture wont start. I charged

Customer Question

2000 Chevy venture won't start. I charged the battery all night and its up. A month ago replaced starter ( there is no clicking sound ). The gauges kinda flip around which seems unusual. Its just dead, I think I hear a litle noise, like maybe a relay or something is engaging. Was looking for other possible causes. I also checked all ignition fuses under the hood and inside passenger door.

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

First of all make sure the starter drive is not stuck out onto the flywheel (flexplate) teeth. If you could get under there and look or just loosen the starter bolts a few turns and shake the starter and listen for the starter drive to snap back, then it was stuck and you may have to shim the starter.

Next if that is not it, then check for voltage to the starter on the purple wire with the key on start. For the wiring diagram, click here. Also, if it's an automatic try holding the key on start and shifting through all the gears from low to park, and if at any point the starter engages except neutral or park then the neutral switch needs adjusting.

Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
First, it may be easiest to just check the 2 fuses first. The pcm/crank 10a in the fuse block (hot at all times) and the pcm/abs fuse 10a also in the fuse block (hot in start and run).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would I be looking for for amps from starter?

If I need to shim what do I use?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Amps? I'd say no more than 150. Do you have an inductive ammeter?

Shims? Just about any auto-parts store sells gm starter shims.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

I wouldn't be concerned right now about starter current amp draw since it appears that it is not even getting voltage to the solenoid. You can use a 12 volt test light or voltmeter on 15 volt scale to check for voltage to that purple wire with the key on start.

If you hear the solenoid click then make sure you have straight battery voltage at the big cable down there. As you can see in the wiring diagram, there is a fusible link, so to test that you would just check both sides of it for voltage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry meant volts !

are there any other posssible causes.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Whatever the total battery voltage is is what should be on both that purple wire with the key on start and also to the big cable down there. No, thats about it, either it's a mechanical problem such as the starter stuck or an electrical. Now I didn't include all the electrical testing, but first wanted to check if there was voltage at the purple wire with key on start to determine what to test next. If there is then the problem has got to be with the starter, solenoid and connections, etc. If no voltage at the purple wire then trace back to find out why not. Check for voltage entering and leaving the crank relay. The red wire to crank relay should already be hot all the time. The purple wire should be hot with the key on start. If not check that the relay works. Check for power to the relay at the orange/black wire with key on start, if nothing check the fuse, neutral switch and wiring. If ok, check that the yellow/black wire to pcm is good and tight. If everything checks out, look for another 4 prong relay under that hood that you can swap for right now and check that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one more thing, last night the battery was dead. Would that indicate anything other than bad battery or alternator?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

If it just went dead once, look for something electrical left on. If not, either the alternator isn't charging or there may be a short draining the battery over time. You can check both, for a short, disconnect the negative battery terminal and place a voltmeter or test light inline with the cable with the negative test lead on battery neg post and pos test lead on disconnected cable. With everything off hood closed and doors closed there should be no light or reading. If there is remove the fuses one at a time untill the drain goes away and then inspect everything on that fuses circuit to first make sure it works and then for a short.

To test the alternator get a total battery reading across the battery with engine off, start the engine rec it up to 1,500 rpm and the voltmeter should raise slightly above what the voltage was when it was off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i couldn't get a " light test " reading on the purple wire at the starter and I made sure it was grounded good casue I got a reading of the HOT terminal, but the starter is clicking once when I try to start it, doesn't that indicate power to starter and possible a bad starter? I did pull starter and have it tested and they said i need an ignition switch, not sure if they are right cause again I had a click coming from starter.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about that, I was napping. Just because you hear a click doesn't mean it's the starter solenoid because you also have that relay. Plus you said you had no power at the purple wire going to the solenoid. You are going to have to check back further than that, most likely at the relay. Like I said, Check for voltage entering and leaving the crank relay. The red wire to crank relay should already be hot all the time. The purple wire should be hot with the key on start. If not check that the relay works. Check for power to the relay at the orange/black wire with key on start, if nothing check the fuse, neutral switch and wiring. If ok, check that the yellow/black wire to pcm is good and tight. If everything checks out, look for another 4 prong relay under that hood that you can swap for right now and check that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello I recieved an e-mail saying I haven't accepted your answer, but I did accept your first answer and in even shows it on this page. If I'm missing something please let me know so you can get paid. The only other buttons I see are the "add bonus" or the "accept answer " on the follow up questions. thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, I see that, it says "Customer paid $18 on 6/22/2011 at 9:19 AM" Recently JA changed the way those emails go out, from the experts sending them to JA automatically sending them out. Just ignore it, but I am going to let them know there is a problem with it. Thanks, for the accept!