Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34+ yrs Dealership Exp. - Fully State & ASE Certified - GM Master & GM World Class Tech
14629990

how do you reprogram the (dic) in my 1998 corvette

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.

Could you explain your question a little more please? Have you replaced the DIC (Drive Information Center) and you need to program it?

Or do you need to know how to use it?

Or is it not functioning correctly and you think reprogramming it will fix it?

What is your problem here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my oil change indicator needs to be re set
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I understand.

Below is your DIC and its functions. It explains the buttons and what happens when you press each button.

For your situation, it looks like you press button #3 Trip. You keep pressing that button until "oil life remaining" is displayed. Then you press and hold the "reset" button.

Driver Information Center (DIC) or Message Center Description

Table 1: DIC Fuel Display Range
Table 2: DIC Gauge Display Range
Table 3: DIC Trip Display Range

Located on the right side of the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) is the Driver Information Center (DIC) switches. The DIC switches allow the driver to change display functions and customize electrical features. Located in the DIC is the ambient light sensor.

The ambient light sensor provides the IPC with ambient light information for interior light dimming; this information is also sent out on the serial data line to systems also responsible for dimming functions. By selecting the appropriate button on the DIC, the DIC allows the driver to perform the following functions:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

FUEL 1

By pressing the FUEL 1 button on the DIC, the following fuel information will be displayed:

AVERAGE -- In the average fuel economy mode, average fuel economy display will be calculated by the IPC based on fuel usage information sent from the PCM on the serial data line and distance information calculated by the IPC from the odometer. The IPC will display the average fuel economy over the past 75.7 L (20 gal). Average fuel economy information may be reset by pressing the RESET button on the DIC.
INST. -- In the instantaneous fuel economy mode, fuel economy display will be calculated by the IPC based on fuel usage information sent from the PCM and distance information calculated by the IPC from the odometer. The IPC will display the estimated fuel economy and update it every 1 second.
RANGE -- In the fuel range mode, fuel range display will be calculated by the IPC based on fuel usage information sent from the PCM on the serial data line and fuel level information calculated by the IPC. This display represents the estimated distance the vehicle can travel under the current fuel economy and fuel level conditions.

DIC Fuel Display Range

DIC Fuel Display

Range

Metric

English

AVERAGE

0-99.9 km/L

0-99.9 mpg

INST.

0-99.9 km/L

0-99.9 mpg

RANGE

0-999 km

0-999 mi

GAUGES 2

By pressing the GAUGE. 2 button on the DIC, the following information will be displayed:

OIL PRESSURE -- Oil pressure is displayed on the IPC based on oil pressure data the IPC receives from the PCM on the serial data link.
OIL TEMP -- Oil temperature is displayed on the IPC based on data the IPC receives directly from the oil temperature sensor.
COOLANT TEMP -- Coolant temperature is displayed on the IPC based on coolant temperature data the IPC receives from the PCM on the serial data line.
TRANS FLUID -- Transmission fluid temperature is displayed on the IPC based on transmission fluid temperature data the IPC receives from the PCM on the serial data line.
BATTERY VOLTS -- Battery voltage is displayed on the IPC based on battery voltage directly received by the IPC.
FRONT -- Front (LH, RH) tire pressure is displayed on the IPC based on tire pressure data the IPC receives from the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system on the serial data line.
REAR -- Rear (LH, RH) tire pressure is displayed on the IPC based on tire pressure data the IPC receives from the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system on the serial data line.

DIC Gauge Display Range

DIC Gauge Display

Range

Metric

English

OIL PRESSURE

0-199 kPa

0-199 psi

OIL TEMP

0-199°C

0-199°F

COOLANT TEMP

0-300°C

0-300°F

TRANS FLUID (Auto trans)

0-199°F

0-199°F

BATTERY VOLTS

0.0-29.0 Volts

0.0-29.0 Volts

FRONT (Tire Pressure)

0-99 kPa

0-99 psi

REAR (Tire pressure)

0-99 kPa

0-99 psi

TRIP 3

By pressing the TRIP 3 button on the DIC, the following information will be displayed:

ODOMETER -- The IPC determines vehicle odometer mileage based on Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) data sent by the PCM. The IPC permanently stores this information in memory and displays the calculated amount on the IPC. The IPC also sends this information on the serial data line to other systems requesting this information. If a odometer malfunction occurs, or if the IPC must be replaced, an authorized repair center should be contacted to program the proper odometer mileage in the IPC.
TRIP A -- The Trip A displays accumulated mileage/km to tenths of a mile/km since the last reset occurred. The Trip A odometer may be reset by pressing the RESET button on the DIC. If after the trip odometer is reset, the RESET is again pressed for at least 3 seconds, the trip odometer will display the odometer readings since the last ignition cycle. If the trip odometer is not reset, the trip odometer will roll over at 999.9 km (mi).
TRIP B -- The Trip B odometer functions are the same as Trip A odometer. Performing any reset functions on Trip A will not reset Trip B.
ELAP. TIME -- The Elapsed Time feature is available for display on the IPC. When the elapsed time is displayed on the IPC, starting the timer is accomplished by pressing the RESET button on the DIC for less than 3 seconds. The IPC is able to display elapsed time in hours, minutes, and seconds. To reset the timer press and hold the RESET button on the DIC for at least 3 seconds.
AVG. SPEED -- The IPC will display the calculated average vehicle speed since the last ignition cycle or a manual reset occurred. The IPC is able to accomplish this by determining the average speed traveled per hour of ignition ON time based on Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) input. The average speed display may be reset by pressing the RESET button on the DIC.
OIL LIFE REMAIN -- Oil life remaining is displayed on the IPC based on oil life data the IPC receives from the PCM on the serial data line. The oil life remaining may be reset by pressing the RESET button on the DIC for at least 2 seconds.

DIC Trip Display Range

DIC Trip Display

Range

Metric

English

ODOMETER

0-999999 km

0-999999 ml

TRIP A

0.0-99999.9 km

0.0-99999.9 mi

TRIP B

0.0-99999.9 km

0.0-99999.9 mi

ELAP. TIME

0-99:59:59

0-99:59:59

AVG. SPEED

00.0-999.9 km/h

00.0-999.9 mph

OIL LIFE REMAIN

0-100%

0-100%

OPTIONS 4

The following vehicle options may be customized by pressing the OPTIONS button until the desired option feature is displayed. Then press the RESET button to change the functions of that option:

LOCK & ARM (Horn Only, Lights Only, Horn and Lights
ALARM (Horn, Horn and Lights)
PASSIVE UNLK (Driver or Both)
APPROACH LIGHTS (On or Off)
AUTO LOCK (On or Off)
AUTO UNLOCK (Driver, Both, Off)
EASY ENTRY (On or Off)
LANGUAGE (English, French, German, Spanish)
Blank page (FOB TRAINING and TIRE TRAINING access)

E/M 5

By pressing the E/M 5 button on the DIC, the IPC will change the unit of measurement (from English to Metric).

RESET

By pressing the RESET button on the DIC, the following functions may be performed:

Used to Acknowledge IPC Messages
Reset Trip Odometer Functions
Start/Stop Elapsed Time
Reset Average Speed
Reset Oil Life Monitor System
Reset Fuel Economy Functions
Customize Vehicle Electrical Functions
Remote Function Actuation (RFA) programming
Change personalized options